Lydian Chromatic Concept of Tonal Organization?

What's Hot
joeWjoeW Frets: 463
Anyone tried studying / using George Russells theory?  Bit of a mixed reception from what I have read, but seemed very influential at the time.  Just wondering if anyone has any opinion on whether its worth the time investment
Thanks

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• joeWjoeW Frets: 463
    My threads are officially the most dull!  
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33806
    I've got the book but it is an entirely new way of harmonising and years and years of work.

I put it in the same category as 'Thesaurus of Scales and Melodic Patterns' by Slonimsky- another book often named checked by jazz nerds (not saying you are doing this) that very few people have fully utilised.
    Probably great but not for most people.

'Harmonic Mechanisms for Guitar' by George Van Eps is probably a better starting point.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    octatonic said:
    I've got the book but it is an entirely new way of harmonising and years and years of work.

I put it in the same category as 'Thesaurus of Scales and Melodic Patterns' by Slonimsky- another book often named checked by jazz nerds (not saying you are doing this) that very few people have fully utilised.
    Probably great but not for most people.

'Harmonic Mechanisms for Guitar' by George Van Eps is probably a better starting point.
    Van Eps is a good call -> at least its guitar specific too.  I am not musically trained, so might yield better real results.  thanks 
    HMFG has the added advantage of still being in print and therefore not £500, unlike the Russell book.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    octatonic said:
    HMFG has the added advantage of still being in print and therefore not £500, unlike the Russell book.
    i think there's a few pdf's lurking around ... £500 would be rather extreme - esp if its way over my head (v likely)
  • vizviz Frets: 10707
    edited September 2022
    joeW said:
    octatonic said:
    i think there's a few pdf's lurking around ... £500 would be rather extreme - esp if its way over my head (v likely)

Well, and also it’s just not as ubiquitous a style of music, the Greeks started with Lydian as mode 1, they had 4 modes initially, and the major scale (and the minor actually) weren’t among them; they loved a bit of Lydian because everything was raised, but Ionion took hold because, as the hypomode of lydian it was oft heard, and because its two tetrachords are identical so it has a wonderful symmetry, and hey presto, western music was born. And indeed the lydian organisation is easy to translate to if you want (it’s one notch along the circle of fifths) so if you ever need to think that way it’s right there. 

I reckon stick with western harmony and then consider augmenting it. (Unintentional pun)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    viz said:

I reckon stick with western harmony and then consider augmenting it. (Unintentional pun)
    That is essentially what I was suggesting.
    Same goes for quartal harmony, or all the various versions of microtonal.
    They are interesting and fun as diversions from western harmony.

I can't imagine basing my entire approach on any of them though.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10707
    Exactamundo. It would sound too samey. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • wizbit81wizbit81 Frets: 445
    LCC is fantastic if you are starting from scratch and want to play jazz or other improvised music. If you've invested many years into normal theory, don't change. Think of it like tuning in 4ths, extremely ergonomically brilliant and makes things a tonne easier, but if you didn't do it from day 1 no point changing after 20 years of playing normally.
    wizbit81 said:
    LCC is fantastic if you are starting from scratch and want to play jazz or other improvised music. If you've invested many years into normal theory, don't change. Think of it like tuning in 4ths, extremely ergonomically brilliant and makes things a tonne easier, but if you didn't do it from day 1 no point changing after 20 years of playing normally.
    Ok thanks - am thinking i'll stick with what I'm doing.  Best handle on tFB btw ...
  • wizbit81wizbit81 Frets: 445
    joeW said:
    wizbit81 said:
    Ok thanks - am thinking i'll stick with what I'm doing.  Best handle on tFB btw ...
    Haha thanks. If you know you know :D
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 745
    The concept is basically multiple scale choices that can be played over each chord type, each scale type is more or less playing out from the chord's tonality.

It's a organised concept for playing "out" over chords.

I studied it years ago and converted the book's logic to easier "normal" common scale names.
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
    GuyBoden said:
    The concept is basically multiple scale choices that can be played over each chord type, each scale type is more or less playing out from the chord's tonality.

I studied it years ago and converted the book's logic to easier "normal" common scale names.
    Interesting - thanks.  Did you feel it was worth the time investment? 
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 745
    joeW said:
    GuyBoden said:

Interesting - thanks.  Did you feel it was worth the time investment? 
    I'm not you, so I couldn't say.

David Baker, had a book called "The Lydian Chromatic Concept " that is based on the LCC, but a list of scales and more scale patterns than you'd ever need for each chord type, you might find a pdf of the book with a google search.

Enjoy the journey without an ending.

"Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."