discellany...my new music discussion channel on YouTube

What's Hot
DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
edited September 2022 in Plug My Stuff
Not been that active here over the last few months because I've decided to finally get my arse in gear and get my youtube channel , discellany, up and running.  It's a complete standing start for the channel, so any views/subs I can pick up would be much appreciated.

It's basically me in full-on old-school fanzine mode...all about music, nothing about gear.  Nowt snazzy, going at it econo, with me talking to camera about stuff I like.  I noticed a trend in youtubers just showing off their latest/greatest vinyl and the like, and I wanted to go in the opposite direction...try and talk in some depth about bands/albums/music/culture and inject a bit of feeling into it.  Videos are on the longer side for youtube (mostly 15-30mins), so I guess I'll just have to see how it goes.

Two initial features...

90s Overlooked Underheard - a chronological run through the 90s highlighting 50 albums that don't fit so easily into the developing narrative of "90s music".  Some obscure stuff, some not so obscure, skewing heavily to indie/alt/noise.  I'm just over halfway through this list, and I've held off until now so I can upload and publish a big wad of episodes.  There are currently 16 to view, and here's the most recent one...

NME+33 - Slightly wary of copyright issues with this one, so only one published so far.  A read-through of the "this week's" NME from 33 years ago.  This first video is of the issue dated 9th September 1989...

Excuse the gratuitous placement of my rancid mug on everything, but apparently people "respond well" to faces in the World of YouTube.  We shall see.

Anyway, please do check it out if you're at all interested!

Thanks
New fangled trading feedback link right here!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Gratuitous click spam, yes, but gaining traction with "the algorithm" is tough, and this is what I'm reduced to.

This weeks NME, from 33 years ago (23rd September, 1989).  Big feature on The Cult including a Rock Family Tree...

Short piece on the NME's Indie City compilation cassettes from late '88...

Another short piece on the Factory Records "Big Box" cassette reissue series from 1985-87...

Latest installment of my deep-dive 90s retrospective.  I'm up to episode 20, and this one's all about The God Machine's amazing posthumous 1994 LP, "One Last Laugh In A Place Of Dying"...

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2085
    Ill do you a sub for sub ;-)

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • Done...and done.

Cheers!
  • Infrequent bump of this for a vaguely Christmas-themed video, looking back at the NME end-of-year double issue from 1989.  Now with a glorious 4K option (text should be readable with a big enough display), plus I've added chapters if you want to jump to bits of interest...

Have a sniff around the channel page for some Guitarist/Bassist/Drummer list videos I've put up over the last month or two.  In numbers terms, they've done a bit better clicks/views-wise than just about everything else I've put up, which just goes to show that people do love a list!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Well, if I'm gonna dunk on Beato about his list video (in the Music sub-forum here), I should at least have the good grace to put my latest list up for enjoyment/ridicule.  It's twenty of my favorite alt/indie/cult musical namechecks...

Cheers!
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2085
    Nice work/...I couldn't help but notice you seem to say "Yeah" ....a lot...;-) 

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • spark240 said:
    Nice work/...I couldn't help but notice you seem to say "Yeah" ....a lot...;-) 
    Yeah.

It's a tic I'm trying to dial back, but between that and the "um"s, it's much easier said than done.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    Still here, still plugging at it.  Couple of weeks with covid (my first time!) absolutely ballsed up any momentum I was building, so this feels like my first "proper" video in about a month.  Politically-focused songs with an alternative flavour...

Cheers!
    Just had the best first 24-hours for a video in the short history of the channel so far, so thought I'd share here for anyone who's interested.  A look at ten of my favorite "leftfield" guitarist/bassist and "signature" effect pairings...

Cheers!
    So, I did another video like the one in the post above...

...and, unbelievably, the subscriptions and watch-time I gained from these two videos, has been enough to push me past the YouTube monetization targets.  Received notification of acceptance into the YPP this morning, so I'm now officially getting ad revenue from my videos.  Gobsmacked.  I thought I might get there in a few years (with a bit of luck), so this is all a bit of a shock.

If anyone here has watched or liked or subscribed, then many many thanks.
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7207
    Can I be honest - I watched the first one and it didn’t grab me but I couldn’t put my finger on why. I had another go with the last one and really enjoyed it and I’m already into todays one and that’s showing loads of promise too. Sorry I can’t be more constructive but it just seems more interesting now and as a fan of the ‘anyone can play guitar’ channel , I think yours has a similar feel (which I like !)
    Can I be honest - I watched the first one and it didn’t grab me but I couldn’t put my finger on why. I had another go with the last one and really enjoyed it and I’m already into todays one and that’s showing loads of promise too. Sorry I can’t be more constructive but it just seems more interesting now and as a fan of the ‘anyone can play guitar’ channel , I think yours has a similar feel (which I like !)
    Cheers.

Being honest with myself, I really didn't want to do guitar videos at all.  It's been a long time since I played for an audience IRL, so the idea of recording myself playing was, quite frankly, terrifying.  I tried to frame it in the context of the source music and the guitarists/bassists themselves, which helped me a lot, and seems to have resonated.  These are only going to be a small part of what I'm doing going forward.  Judging by a lot of the comments I've got, there's clearly a bit of a crossover niche of "people who like alternative music" and "people who play guitar but aren't blues/rock/metal fans".  This is obviously what's got me over the line, but I'm happy to admit, there's a serious dash of good fortune behind that!