AVRI precision, thought’s

What's Hot
Hi all, I’m thinking about getting a US fender precision RI ,I normally play jazzes so I’m not familiar with the differences,  I see they do a 60s, 62 and 63, i like the sunburst and rosewood and a not too chunky neck, would the 62 be the best one, cheers 
Riddim up
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• The P bass neck is a lot wider

I think they have a proper old 44mm nut. Compared to the Jazz that's a large difference. But they aren't quite as deep as some of the others. It's kind of wide and medium deep.

You really need to play one if you normally play jazz types.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks, I think I’ll be ok with the 44 width but I think they vary in depth, I wondered what the shallowest was 
    Riddim up
  • It's a Fender - they all vary a bit, even the supposedly identical ones.
  • I have an AV '63. Wide and shallow neck. Perfect for yo' Donald "Duck" Dunn grooves. :)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I have an AV '63. Wide and shallow neck. Perfect for yo' Donald "Duck" Dunn grooves. :)
    Thank you mr funk, sounds good, there’s so many different sites saying different things about the neck’s, it’s good to hear from someone who has one 
    Riddim up
  • I wizzed what fretmeister posted in his first reply. The string spacing is key to the playing experience. If you are habituated to, say, a Jazz Bass, your muscle memory moves will fall fractionally short on a vintage P Bass replica. It is not difficult to adapt. Some find the extra reach problematic. 

Do not dismiss modern Fender P Bass models. Their neck profiles are not confined by history. The fingerboard radius is often flatter, the fret wire bigger and the neck itself reinforced for greater stability. 

One of the most interesting Fender bass neck profiles appeared on the Dimension Bass model. It was asymmetrical - deep under the E and A strings and shallower under the D and G strings. Deepest point was probably under the A string. Very ergonomic.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for your info, I’ve narrowed it down to the avri 62 and now to find one, there doesn’t seem to be many around, which is a good sign I suppose as people that have them are holding on to them 
    Riddim up