5 from 2022

What's Hot
CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4405
What's the best new music you've heard in 2022?

Post your favourite 5 tunes released this year.

Crows - Slowly Separate

Caroline - IWR

Fergus McCreadie - Morning Moon

Lady Blackbird - It's Not That Easy

Idles - Crawl!

Let's hear some new music.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 31262

This one's a banger but I need the lyrics and tab....

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4405
    Re-releases don't count. Nice try.

What about the other 4?

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12628
    Saw these for the first time ever on glasto tv coverage.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I'm a big fan of Big Thief.

I love the albums UFOF and Masterpiece.

• Zeal and Ardour by Zeal and Ardour. 
    Utterly brilliant. 
    Heads up- It's incredibly heavy at times. 
  • blobbblobb Frets: 3140
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Zeal and Ardour by Zeal and Ardour. 
    Utterly brilliant. 
    Heads up- It's incredibly heavy at times. 
    Cheers. Never heard of them before. 

I’m half way through and enjoying it. I’ll finish it later. 

I like the fact it’s not all on one level. Some heavy some not so much. Even within the same song. 

munckee said:
    Saw these for the first time ever on glasto tv coverage.

@munckee they’re touring over here next year. My mate got us tickets for Brixton in April. 

• Honourable mentions for new music from Megadeth, Ozzy and Ghost. I've chosen these as examples from albums I've enjoyed this year, not just these tracks. 

Arch Enemy - Handshake With Hell

Hanging Garden - Neither Moth Nor Rust (their album Skeleton Lake is my favourite of 2021 too)

Dawn of Solace - Dying Light

Solarus - The Keeper

Bit of a cheat as the album was released in 2021 but they finally did the video in 2022.
    Scardust - Concrete Cages

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Loved that. Quirky! 

Great voice and the video is brilliant. 

This thread could get expensive. 

blobb said:
    Pretty psychedelic. 

Talented guy. Can’t believe one person made most of that. 

Honourable mentions for new music from Megadeth, Ozzy and Ghost. I've chosen these as examples from albums I've enjoyed this year, not just these tracks. 

Arch Enemy - Handshake With Hell

Hanging Garden - Neither Moth Nor Rust (their album Skeleton Lake is my favourite of 2021 too)

Dawn of Solace - Dying Light

Solarus - The Keeper

Bit of a cheat as the album was released in 2021 but they finally did the video in 2022.
    Scardust - Concrete Cages

Not what I would normally listen to (I don’t mean that in a bad way). 

My aunt used to record Beavis and Butthead for me when I was a kid. Always had the end of Head Bangers Ball on it. Your list reminded me of that. 

Arch Enemy, I didn’t expect the singer to sound like that! Never heard a woman sing like that before. 

Really liked the acoustic line running through Dying Light. Lovely tone to it too. 

Wasn’t expecting classical strings on the last one. What is that instrument she’s playing? Is that what sounds like the pipes? 

• SporkySporky Frets: 29220
    In the ladies-with-shouting vein Greybloom are quite decent. Sage is their radio-friendly easy listening track.

"[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • CHRISB50 said:

Arch Enemy, I didn’t expect the singer to sound like that! Never heard a woman sing like that before. 

Really liked the acoustic line running through Dying Light. Lovely tone to it too. 

Wasn’t expecting classical strings on the last one. What is that instrument she’s playing? Is that what sounds like the pipes? 
    1, There are loads of female harsh vocals in metal now, though you wouldn't always be able to tell they are female. Alissa stands out as she has a beautiful clean voice too which the band is beginning to use. The band's previously long-serving vocalist Angela Gossow (2000-2014) did harsh vocals only, and retired from the band to take over as manager, choosing Alissa to replace her. 

2, Discovered Dawn of Solace recently. Love the use of baritone acoustics, such a lovely sound.

3, That's a Hurdy Gurdy. They're quite an old folk instrument - sounds a lot like a violin but with keys and a rotating bow. Patty Gurdy (real name Patricia Büchler) who is guesting on this track has become well known on YouTube for the Hurdy Gurdy playing and has guested with lots of bands. 

I'm going to do mine one at a time. Greybloom already posted. Next Astronoid. Like happy metalgaze covered in icing and sprinkles. There's jam in there too. And pink lemonade to wash it down. The bass player's wearing a lovely cabled jumper in the video! 

edited September 2022
    Kardashev's new one is ace too - bit heavier than The Almanac, but still lots of contrast.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

• 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8575
    Kavinsky, Renegade. The production (on a quality audio only cut) is insanely good. Liked it so much I bought the watch.

https://youtu.be/N5u6YYqWgEo

Orville Peck, Curse of the Blackened Eye. 

Florence and the Machine, Free. Never liked them at all, but this song is genius.

https://youtu.be/ui8kUKuLBaU

Suede, She Still Leads Me On. Old band, great new song.

https://youtu.be/KHJd1Z1G3M4

Steve Vai, Zeus in Chains. Still got it.

https://youtu.be/gJkek77UV8g

• Good idea... here goes

3rd Secret - I choose me. Return of riffmaster general Kim Thayil.

Alunah - Fade into Fantasy

All Them Witches - Blacksnake Blues. Superb dark, Hendrixy Pagey Blues on a Les Paul. This song sent me on a big blues phase for a good few weeks. 

Fontaines DC - I Love You. Brilliant, intense lyrics

Dry Cleaning - Don't Press me.