Simon McBride now a permanent member of Deep Purple.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23713
    I struggle with BOC. Rather anonymous mix of AOR, sci-fi rock and Southern boogie. Three different singers. If there were your mate’s rock covers band you’d be impressed but for 45 minutes in front of a decent sized crowd they were underwhelming. 
    I'm a fan, but they're one of those bands where there are at least as many songs I don't like as songs I love.  The most recent album (which surprised me, I thought they'd never do another) is really rather good.

Glad to hear McBride impressed.  I never really enjoyed Morse's contributions to the band.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16421
    Philly_Q said:
    I struggle with BOC. Rather anonymous mix of AOR, sci-fi rock and Southern boogie. Three different singers. If there were your mate’s rock covers band you’d be impressed but for 45 minutes in front of a decent sized crowd they were underwhelming. 
    I'm a fan, but they're one of those bands where there are at least as many songs I don't like as songs I love.  The most recent album (which surprised me, I thought they'd never do another) is really rather good.

I have seen them before. 40 years ago and remember very little about it.
     As first band on there was no staging as such so it was five blokes dressed in black stood there playing some songs only three of which I recognised, which was probably two more than most of the audience. So, okay but just needed something more. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3111
    I was there too @EricTheWeary . Some great moments. Simon seems to have given them a proper lift imo. I'm in full agreement on his tone and playing. He straddled the line between doffing his cap to Sir Ritchie and putting his own stamp on it. Some bits of Lukather and Eric Johnson mixed in for good measure. Really enjoyed it. 

Richie Castalano of Band Geeks fame was the 2nd guitar/keyboardist in BOC. I thought they were OK but the material seemed like it belonged to about 4 bands. Don't Fear The Reaper could have done with at least some cowbell for me, though.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16421
    I was there too @EricTheWeary . Some great moments. Simon seems to have given them a proper lift imo. I'm in full agreement on his tone and playing. He straddled the line between doffing his cap to Sir Ritchie and putting his own stamp on it. Some bits of Lukather and Eric Johnson mixed in for good measure. Really enjoyed it. 

Richie Castalano of Band Geeks fame was the 2nd guitar/keyboardist in BOC. I thought they were OK but the material seemed like it belonged to about 4 bands. Don't Fear The Reaper could have done with at least some cowbell for me, though.
    Richie is clearly very talented. He even sang one of the songs, which he did well but why really. It was like a lesson in how not to structure a set. I’d forgotten about the cowbell. By far and away their best known song but a bit undersold. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 

Richie is clearly very talented. He even sang one of the songs, which he did well but why really. It was like a lesson in how not to structure a set. I’d forgotten about the cowbell. By far and away their best known song but a bit undersold. 
    Richie's role is a strange one - you get the feeling he could quite easily single-handedly replace both Bloom and Roeser, the only remaining original members.  But he seems happy to be a very supportive team player.
  • I just noticed that Simon McBride is the latest interview on No Guitar is Safe.
    Had to resurrect this thread after watching these recent clips.  Deep Purple are sounding really good!

• Lookin forward to catching them at this year's Sweden rock fest.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5010
    Glover's bass sound is pants there!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19435
    Listened to The Book of Taliesyn, not impressed. Have they done much else?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Nah, not really.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73093
    edited February 2023
    Assuming you’re not joking...

Yes .

In Rock, Fireball, Machine Head, Made In Japan, Burn and Stormbringer are all great albums (first four with Gillan and Glover, last two with Coverdale and Hughes). Who Do We Think We Are, Made In Europe, and the 80s reunion albums Perfect Strangers and the underrated House Of Blue Light are worth a listen. After that they’re rather a different band, with Steve Morse replacing Blackmore. (And the late-70s Come Taste The Band with Tommy Bolin.)

If you want a brief overview, the compilation ‘30’ is probably the best, although either 24 Carat Purple or Deepest Purple have most of the classics.

Philly_Q said:
    Had to resurrect this thread after watching these recent clips.  Deep Purple are sounding really good!
    prowla said:
    Yes, it is.

Got around to watching these now, and I have to say I think they sound pretty poor - the mix is horrendous, the guitar is too loud, the bass and especially the drums are way too quiet, and in SOTW in particular the whole thing comes across rather sadly like a bar band with a guitarist who thinks he's god.

They were my favourite band in the mid-70s, but they've just gone on too long now I think.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4310
    edited February 2023
    Don airey looks a bit like the late Ian McClagan in his later years in this 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19435
    edited February 2023
    ICBM said:
    Assuming you’re not joking...

Yes .

In Rock, Fireball, Machine Head, Made In Japan, Burn and Stormbringer are all great albums (first four with Gillan and Glover, last two with Coverdale and Hughes). Who Do We Think We Are, Made In Europe, and the 80s reunion albums Perfect Strangers and the underrated House Of Blue Light are worth a listen. After that they’re rather a different band, with Steve Morse replacing Blackmore. (And the late-70s Come Taste The Band with Tommy Bolin.)

If you want a brief overview, the compilation ‘30’ is probably the best, although either 24 Carat Purple or Deepest Purple have most of the classics.

Philly_Q said:
    prowla said:
    Yes, it is.

Got around to watching these now, and I have to say I think they sound pretty poor - the mix is horrendous, the guitar is too loud, the bass and especially the drums are way too quiet, and in SOTW in particular the whole thing comes across rather sadly like a bar band with a guitarist who thinks he's god.

They were my favourite band in the mid-70s, but they've just gone on too long now I think.
    No, I wasn't being entirely serious  The soundtrack to my youth includes Black Night, Speed King, Strange Kind of Woman, Child in Time etc. I was never a huge fan much beyond the mid 70's though & always thought that Blackmore was a prat...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73093
    Kittyfrisk said:

No, I wasn't being entirely serious  The soundtrack to my youth includes Black Night, Speed King, Strange Kind of Woman, Child in Time etc. I was never a huge fan much beyond the mid 70's though & always thought that Blackmore was a prat...
    :)

He is, but an absolutely integral part of what made Deep Purple great. It's just not Purple without him, for me - I don't even really like Come Taste The Band.

I've never really got into the Rod Evans albums either - In Rock to House Of Blue Light is all you need, plus one of the compilations with Black Night and Strange Kind Of Woman on. The Battle Rages On - or as Blackmore called it 'The Cattle Grazes On' ;) is shit too, even though it's the last gasp of the classic line-up. I did listen to it a couple of times, but the magic had left the station some time previously by then.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    Philly_Q said:
    prowla said:
    Yes, it is.

I think perhaps I'm suffering from the fact that I watch a lot of "fan-filmed" live clips on the Blabbermouth website - and they are largely ageing 1980s hair metal bands who sound fucking horrendous nowadays....

I still think Purple sound good here - although yes, you can hardly hear Glover's bass, but it's just a YouTube clip.  And I didn't really mean the "sound" is good, I meant they're playing well, and with energy.

"A bar band with a guitarist who thinks he's god."  Well yes, you're probably right again... and maybe that's what I want to hear. ;)  Morse always sounded oddly subdued and anonymous with Deep Purple, it wasn't a good fit.