Water based finishes/lacquers ?

Hi folks 

despite completing several builds over the past few years I still havent got round to tooling up with some decent spray kit 
After doing a couple of shellac finishes recently - and having the sore elbow to show for it - i have been looking at some Fuji spray kit.  
One thing thats been holding me back from getting any gear is the difficulty of spraying nitro without having a suitable space to set up a safe spray booth 

i do have a decent sized workroom though, so i am wondering if going down the route of water-based finishes would work.  

Does anyone have experience of using water based lacquers and is it worth going this route ? 

Cheers. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• @TrentGuitars knows a thing or two...
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• I’m in a similar situation, so I thought I’d give this thread an optimistic bump. I suspect I’d be applying by hand rather than using a spray system though, because money.

In terms of the end results, as @Jonathangus mentioned, @TrentGuitars uses water based finishes, including products from Crimson Guitars, so the end results can clearly be very high-end - check out the Trent Guitars website for a treat if you’ve not already done so.

That said, I’ve no idea what sort of clear coat he uses - it would be good to find out more about what environmentally friendly options there are out there.