Which one of you bastards did this...?

What's Hot
ElxElx Frets: 412
...send a faulty Mesa Boogie Fifty Fifty across the pond to The Netherlands?

I traded an amp I hated with a passion (doesn't matter which one) for it today...

The problem is, the moment I turn it on, it cuts the power off for half of the neighbourhood...well, in half of my apartment at least, the wife wanted to kill me, she missed an important scene in Gilmore Girls :)

It's a UK plug, but the voltage is the same of course (another thing I learned today, I could have easily spent the rest of my life thinking you guys were on 110V), so I bought an adapter plug and I thought I'd solved the problem...But, something is not quite right...

Help a brother out please!

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 31591
    That's not a UK plug!!!

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    That's a North American style plug if I'm not mistaken.  Really should check it runs on 230-240V rather than 110V as it looks.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ElxElx Frets: 412
    Great, thanks guys!

I had no idea what plug it was, I went to a shop and they told me it was UK and gave me the adapter! Stupid idiots...

• RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    That is definitely not UK, very much US style.  Double check the voltage so you don't blow it (and yourself/partner/family/neighbours) up!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Yeah, it's US...it's going back I'm afraid...
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31591
    Elx said:
    Great, thanks guys!

I had no idea what plug it was, I went to a shop and they told me it was UK and gave me the adapter! Stupid idiots...

Oh well- they can sell you a new input transformer instead now.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Gassage said:
    Elx said:
    Great, thanks guys!

Oh well- they can sell you a new input transformer instead now.
    Is there any reason not to do it with a transformer? I got a good price on the amp, I'd like to keep it, if another 30-40 EUR will solve the problem I'll be happy...
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2755
    You can use a step down transformer to run US voltage amps in the EU. Would cost around 40 Euros or so.

You may however have caused significant damage to the amp by plugging it into the wrong voltage.

If you get a transformer, and the amp still blows fuses it will need looking at.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74497
    See if you can find someone who can lend you a stepdown transformer to test it first. No point in buying one if the amp is going to need a new internal transformer, because you should just fit a European one instead.

Being a Mesa there is a better chance than usual that the amp has survived, but as jpfamps said there is still a significant risk of damage.

Did the seller not mention it was a US voltage model? Or do you mean you bought it from the US, not the UK? If so it isn't really the seller's fault...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I've only ever plugged in a 110V device to 240V once.

Needless to say I won't ever forget the smell and I'm very glad that someone else had to pickup the repair bill (it was at work). 

Hopefully you haven't done anything too permanent!! 
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4268
    Aren't some Mesa products  auto-sensing ?

sweepy said:
    Aren't some Mesa products  auto-sensing ?

Not as far as I know.

It would be very difficult to make a traditional valve amp so - it only usually applies to modern equipment with Switch-Mode power supplies (eg computers etc). Many amps have manual voltage switches, but not most Mesas.

In fact Mesa seem to go out of their way to make their amps single-voltage - because by doing so (and charging a fortune for replacement parts outside the US) they protect the excessive mark-up their overseas distributors are allowed to make.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    The amp has survived but it's going back. Instead of the Fify Fifty I'd like a single rack unit power amp, so I can use a rack power conditioner...Much lighter and more convenient to power everything from a conditioner..I've been trying to locate a 20/20 for a while and only went for the Fifty/Fifty one out of frustration...Where are all the 20/20s, why is it so difficult to locate one? Also, why do companies discontinue great products?

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7406
    ...oooer - nearly an opportunity to say Dutch Caps....
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Cheers
    bignorm said:
    I have a marshall 20 20 for sale if you are still looking
    Cheers
    Check your Inbox...
    Elx said:
    The amp has survived but it's going back. Instead of the Fify Fifty I'd like a single rack unit power amp, so I can use a rack power conditioner...Much lighter and more convenient to power everything from a conditioner..I've been trying to locate a 20/20 for a while and only went for the Fifty/Fifty one out of frustration...Where are all the 20/20s, why is it so difficult to locate one? Also, why do companies discontinue great products?
    I think the 20/20 is rare because they were so overpriced outside the US that almost no-one bought one. Mesa rack gear is pretty much pro-only over here, and most who could afford that could afford anything, so went for the Simul 2:90 or the 50/50 rather than the 20/20.

They - like other great mid-priced Mesa amps like the Dual Caliber series - were discontinued because they were becoming too expensive to make in relation to the price point the company thought they needed to hit in order to keep selling them. (I have this direct from Randall Smith by the way, so I know it's the exact reason… I don't like name-dropping but in this case it's useful I think.)

The Marshall is not a bad unit at all and is easier to find and cheaper. Just be careful you give it plenty of ventilation in the rack, they have a tendency to run very hot.

• ICBM;357042" said:
    I have this direct from Randall Smith by the way, so I know it's the exact reason… I don't like name-dropping but in this case it's useful I think.
    I met 'Randy' at a NAMM show - he was a cool guy....
    @ICBM, thank you...I've decided to go for the Matrix in the meantime...