The Jimi Hendrix Experience’s First Performances: The French Tour, October 12-18, 1966

What's Hot
JasOJasO Frets: 97
I've just posted an article detailing the Jimi Hendrix Experience's first-ever performances. These began in France just 19 days after Jimi's arrival in London and about a week after drummer Mitch Mitchell joined the lineup. I've included Jimi's recollections, translations of French newspaper reviews, which were not universally positive, and the reminiscences of Noel Redding and Mitch Mitchell, who'd never seen Jimi's over-the-top performance style until their opening night in Évreux. If you're interested in Jimi, here's the article: https://jasobrecht.substack.com/p/the-jimi-hendrix-experiences-first
0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LodiousLodious Frets: 1960
    Are you the Jas Obrecht from Guitar Player magazine? Amazing if you are posting here!!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sometimes it feels like there were only about six people who played guitar in the 1960s. Mick Jones (later of Foreigner) played in Johnny Hallyday’s band, I’m fairly sure he did so when The Beatles supported Johnny so I wonder if he did on the Hendrix dates. 
    And amazing that all this archive material has been found. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Great article Jas. Funny to see the disparaging review. What did that guy know, hah!
  • ricky50ricky50 Frets: 160
    This is gold. Thanks Jas. 
  • JasOJasO Frets: 97
    Lodious said:
    Are you the Jas Obrecht from Guitar Player magazine? Amazing if you are posting here!!!
    Yes, I was an editor for Guitar Player from 1978 until 1998. It's amazing to me how often I hear from people who make that connection. That used to happen to Tom Wheeler a lot too. Those were some good times! I still love writing about guitarists and their music, and have recently launched an online magazine called "Talking Guitar." I'm actually doing more writing now than I did all those years ago. It's good to have a mission in life! https://jasobrecht.substack.com/
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2410

Love it. Nice on @JasO ;
    Still love to go back to some Hendrix stuff. Fascinating period. So much changing so quickly... all without social media and forums!

• robertyroberty Frets: 10916
    Welcome @JasO, thanks for sharing 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23844
    JasO said:
    Lodious said:
    Yes, I was an editor for Guitar Player from 1978 until 1998. It's amazing to me how often I hear from people who make that connection. That used to happen to Tom Wheeler a lot too. Those were some good times! I still love writing about guitarists and their music, and have recently launched an online magazine called "Talking Guitar." I'm actually doing more writing now than I did all those years ago. It's good to have a mission in life! https://jasobrecht.substack.com/
    Wow man, I still think of you with the long hair and the big moustache.  Great to see you on this forum.
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2633
    tFB Trader
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2633
    tFB Trader
    Found some footage to go with this (if it indeed is from that tour)