Bert Jansch talks about his right-hand technique

JasOJasO Frets: 97
While I was a teenager learning to play guitar in the early '70s, I heard an acoustic guitar instrumental on one of Detroit's FM radio stations. The announcer said it was a track from John Renbourn's Sir John Alot, and I was knocked out. It changed my perception of what acoustic guitar playing could be. I went right out and bought the album, which I have loved ever since. John's solo work, naturally, led me to Pentangle and Bert Jansch -- a lifetime of great listening there! I recently revisited an interview I did with Bert in 1992 for Guitar Player magazine, and put together a YouTube video of him explaining aspects of his right-hand guitar technique. I thought guitarists on this forum might enjoy hearing Bert talk about how he developed his style:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuJTdV9lEFg
0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• This is great. 

I saw him a few times in the early 2000s and the Pentangle reunion. 

He was an incredibly dynamic player- the string snapping may have had its origins in aggression and trying to be heard, but I think in the later days it just filtered through into whatever else he was playing a a natural expression of his emotions at any given point. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • A real hero of mine too. I don't listen to a lot of acoustic music but Bert Jansch is such an artist he transcends the genre for me. Nice to hear this, thanks
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom