There were guitar players.. and then there was Joe Pass

What's Hot
equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6263
IMHO he was the finest solo jazz guitarist who ever lived.
I didn't listen to much jazz as I learned to play in the 1970s, but even back then I knew he was considered the best of the best.
His technique was extraordinary as was his knowledge of jazz composition.
Oscar Peterson called him a genius.
Even if you're not a fan of his style of music you need to see this master of his art at work.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1373
    edited September 2022
    I would agree... an extraordinary musician. I always love something he said in a tuition DVD of his that I have ... "and then there are substitutions of substitutions, but we won't go there today."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
    OK, he was amazing, but personally I find that sort of music terminally dull. I didn't just come here to rag on it, I genuinely though "Joe Pass, I've heard of him but I don't recall his playing". People here moan at amazing shredders, and I get that, but it's in some ways similar, amazing technique that moves some people and leaves other cold.

My loss of course. 
  • JasOJasO Frets: 97
    Joe Pass used the smallest guitar picks I've ever heard of. When I was putting together a "guitar picks" poster for Guitar Player, I asked Joe to send me one of his. He mailed me a small teardrop-shaped pick, along with the note, "I break 'em in half." 

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    I was fortunate enough to see him live a couple of times.  Unforgettable.  Still got the albums.
    He knew an awful lot of tunes.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • No doubt he was a phenomenal musical talent but old school solo jazz guitar just doesn't do it for me. 

I saw him play in my teens, on a double bill with Oscar Peterson.  But I felt pretty much the same about Peterson as I did with Pass, his skill levels were absolutely amazing, most of his music left me cold.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • westwest Frets: 1006
    I remember being amazed by him on oscar petersons show on the beeb in the 70s , it just showed what was possible on the guitar ...
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10916
    Yeah he was something else. I find it astonishing that anyone can follow complex jazz changes, let alone on smack(!)

I've been following a jazz guitarist called Eleanora Strino on social media, here's the clip that reeled me in:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • smigeonsmigeon Frets: 294
    Talking of those old jazz guitar guys... And or those who Joe Pass leaves cold - have you tried Wes Montgomery?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • smigeon said:
    Talking of those old jazz guitar guys... And or those who Joe Pass leaves cold - have you tried Wes Montgomery?

My remarks on Pass wouldn't apply to old jazz guitar guys generally: for reasons too tedious to relate I wouldn't bracket him with Wes, Grant Green, Jim Hall, Kenny Burrell, early Benson etc. some of whose music I really like.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17946
    tFB Trader
    If you want to hear two masters playing together then check out the Fitzgerald and Pass albums:

• smigeonsmigeon Frets: 294
    edited September 2022
    smigeon said:
    Talking of those old jazz guitar guys... And for those who Joe Pass leaves cold - have you tried Wes Montgomery?
    My remarks on Pass wouldn't apply to old jazz guitar guys generally: for reasons too tedious to relate I wouldn't bracket him with Wes, Grant Green, Jim Hall, Kenny Burrell, early Benson etc. some of whose music I really like.
    Then I'm very much in agreement with you. I reach for the players in your list here (esp. Wes and early Benson) far more often than I do for Joe Pass. But they are all great - as are a host of others from the same era who are almost forgotten now. How pale do most of the guitar heroes from my youth in the 70's/80's seem in comparison with these greats - who I used to think were "corny". Laughable!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • He’s great, I don’t do the ‘best’ sort of thing. I loved his method book when I was younger.  Spent many a time playing through it 
    edited September 2022
    The noise in the OP was annoying me so I ran it through some (very basic) noise reduction. It's taken a little bit of the sparkle away but I think it's more pleasant overall

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23844
    west said:
    I remember being amazed by him on oscar petersons show on the beeb in the 70s , it just showed what was possible on the guitar ...
    I remember those Oscar Peterson shows, imagine seeing something like that on late-night TV nowadays...

I've never been able to listen to jazz, but for some reason I like watching people play it.  And I'd love to be able to play solo jazz guitar.  I think I've got a Joe Pass instructional DVD somewhere, although of course I never attempted to learn anything from it.
    Philly_Q said:
    west said:
    I remember those Oscar Peterson shows, imagine seeing something like that on late-night TV nowadays...

I've never been able to listen to jazz, but for some reason I like watching people play it.  And I'd love to be able to play solo jazz guitar.  I think I've got a Joe Pass instructional DVD somewhere, although of course I never attempted to learn anything from it.
    I leant this rote, I don't fully understand everything that's going on in it but the exercise helped to free my fingers up a bit. I've got a tab somewhere I could dig out

• DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7441
    equalsql said:
    IMHO he was the finest solo jazz guitarist who ever lived.
    I didn't listen to much jazz as I learned to play in the 1970s, but even back then I knew he was considered the best of the best.
    His technique was extraordinary as was his knowledge of jazz composition.
    Oscar Peterson called him a genius.
    Even if you're not a fan of his style of music you need to see this master of his art at work.

Nice, does he play it different every time?
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14879
    tFB Trader
    Unbelievably talented and certainly a big influence - personally I prefer listening to the likes of Wes Montgomery, Grant Green and Kenny Burrell

Part of the issue I have with Joe, is that on many occasions he plays solo - So no rhythm, groove to fall back on - Have a 4 bar break and the audience clap, thinking it is the end of the song - Yet Wes etc can back off and let the rhythm continue the groove - Also makes Joe far more one dimensional and as such tiring after a while to listen to

Also add to that, on many occasions the tune has just gone into a host of 'licks' - Don't want that to sound like I'm anti who/what he is as that is not the case - I just prefer to listen to others 

I dare say many other players can far more understand and relate to what he is actually doing - I can't - But whilst I can't copy Kenny Burrell, I feel I can take snippets of his songs/licks/chords and bring those ideas into my playing 

Incidentally many above mention Oscar Peterson - My dad always had him amongst the finest 
  • He was sheer genius , the way he plays the melody and rhythm at the same time in that inimitable style . There used to be a secondhand shop in st Mary church in the early 90s & the owner was the image of him 
  • JasO said:
    Joe Pass used the smallest guitar picks I've ever heard of. When I was putting together a "guitar picks" poster for Guitar Player, I asked Joe to send me one of his. He mailed me a small teardrop-shaped pick, along with the note, "I break 'em in half." 

I loved that poster (where there two of them?).

When I saw the Discussion title I actually thought it would be a @JasO piece. Joe Pass was one of those players who I only knew existed from reading Guitar Player, he wouldn't have come across my horizon for any other reason. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2452
    As a jazz guitarist he really was on another level. The way he effortlessly got around the fretboard was quite staggering. But personally I prefer early Benson. His playing moved me more and he had a bloody good voice to boot. His live stuff is amazing.