Aniline Red dye sources?

Hi folks 

Amongst too many other projects I am currently re-finishing one of my juniors after re-visiting @IvisonGuitars excellent DC Junior build thread from a few years ago.  It’s the thread that got me inspired and started on my own builds.  

In prep for redoing the junior, I have been experimenting with aniline dyes as stains, dyed grain fillers and even as tints in shellac sealer and finishes on various scraps and a spare neck. 

I’m going for a dark cherry finish ( it’s quite a dark sapele body, so will never turn out proper Gibson Cherry ) but the red aniline powder I am using in my mixes just isn’t dark enough - it’s far too pinkish. I bought it via ebay and believe it’s originally sold by “flying penguin”.  It would be perfect for a pink maple top, but not for my cherry mix.  

So, Can anyone tell me where to get good dark red or blood red aniline ? 

I finally have spray kit coming soon and want to be able to tint clear coats with it on some other builds 

Cheers. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JGTayJGTay Frets: 210
    I used to use Keda aniline dyes, very intense colours with small amounts of the powder, but getting it in the UK is very difficult now. 
  • I have used a few Rothko frost do version 
    trans tint
    stew Mac cherry colortone made by trans tint I seem to recall but bloody expensive over here these days but very much in the Gibson ball park.

Also bought back JE moser oil based med red mahogany from the states. An old school dye I hoped would be a good fader at the time recommend by a couple of les Paul builders as the one that fades nicely I think it was Bartlet who told me that it would fade. But the test pieces lived in the Spanish sun for a month and never changed a jot. So good if you don’t want natural faded burst look lol.

• PeteCPeteC Frets: 500
    thanks chaps - useful info 
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7343
    edited September 2022 tFB Trader
    The Stewmac Colortone stain isn't aniline, it's a metal complex dye and relatively light fast.

For aniline dyes I use LMII who ship to the UK.

To make Gibson cherry though you need to add some blue brown and black to the mix.
    Thanks Steve - very useful info too
    Until I can get my hands on some better stuff than the powders I have I am going to experiment with some alcohol based inks in shellac coats and see what I get. 
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2440
    I also use the Keda dyes, I did a red dye Westone bass for a chap, he leaves it in a room with direct sunlight and tells me it has faded considerably on the front inside 2 years. 
    Thanks @Sarge.  
    I saw that i could buy keda direct from the states but the shipping is really expensive sadly. 

Cheers @Kittyfrisk ,  it might be.   I have been looking for alcohol based dyes to use with nitro clear as tints so far, but am thinking I could use water based anilines with water based acrylic lacquers. 

In the meantime until my spray kit arrives I am experimenting with tinted shellacs and getting some nice results - it’s just bloody hard French polishing work though