SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Sold: Gretsch 6120 SSLVO, 2005 (£1750) - Sold: Godin Composer GT

DB1DB1 Frets: 5031
edited October 2022 in Guitars £
I'm having one of my clearouts at the moment. An apt turn of phrase really, as my wife's also made a cottage pie tonight. 

Anyway, first up is this Gretsch 6120 SSLVO. If you want a case queen, look away now, as it isn't. This has been gigged well for the past seventeen years in a touring rock and roll band. It's been played in the USA, the UK and across Europe constantly in that time - apart from Covid of course.

Bought new in the USA in 2005, this one's got a few battle scars, buckle rash, a few dings and scuffs, a couple of little dings in the back of the neck which you can feel but don't get in the way (well, not in my way). I'm being overly critical here, but it's be best to be that way, I think.

There's no COA at the moment - the previous owner does have it, I think, but couldn't summon up the enthusiasm to look in the loft. I've offered him £50 if he can find it, and who can turn down those sort of riches? Well, he can, so far.

I'm going to take some more pics, as the couple that I've included here were done in a hurry. It won't be for a day or so as my little one year old grandson's coming to visit tomorrow and the whole house will be booby trapped with toys. And a wigwam, which is really easy to trip over, trust me.

Anyway, this is about the purest form of natural relicing there is. Genuine play wear. That'll be £5000 please. Or perhaps not.

I spotted it on eBay a few weeks back and the seller told me about his band (pics and links to the guitar in action on request if you're interested) and I thought it was pretty interesting so arranged to go to Bristol to see it. About 5 miles away from his house, I started to be a bit sneezy (I was already dopey and grumpy) and though it might be hayfever. Turned out that it was a hideous chest infection (not Covid) and for three weeks I was firing out lumps of what looked like Kryptonite every few minutes. So, if Superman was round our way during those three weeks, I apologise for any distress caused.

Anyway, I had a quick look at the guitar at the time - it sounded fine, which was the main thing, no problem with the 'natural relicing' as I was interested in the story of the guitar, just felt that the strings were a bit sloppy and old, but that was OK as I've got more strings at home than a puppet convention.

Anyway, I was starting to feel rough, so I bought it and just wanted to get back to the car and open a box of tissues which, to be fair, is normally how my deals conclude.  o

Got it home, restrung it, loved the tone, but realised that it probably needed a refret. Probably turned to definitely, so I've had it refretted. My fault for not spotting it, but at the time of inspection, I was the body double for the little fellow in the Benylyn ads. A refret has worked wonders anyway.

It's had a couple of mods - one very minor in terms of the strap lock button being changed to black - this was to match the guitarists strap! - and the tuners have been changed to Sperzel locking tuners by the previous chap.

Needless to say, it does all of the Gretsch things very well, and can also conjure up a meatier, more bluesy sound when needed.

Sale preferred, but might be open to trades on this. I don't know what, but Gibson hollow body maybe with P90's, Tele-type possibly, even a nice acoustic - I dunno. Message me if this luscious old relic appeals to you. The Gretsch. Otherwise, I'd look for £1750. Does that sound fair?

Next is a lovely not-too-expensive Godin Composer GT. The 'GT' stands for 'Gloss Top', which must have taxed someone's brain for a few weeks when coming up with the name. It's got the ingenious TRIC case with it that's as tough as my wife when I claim that I have flu, and it's even lighter than my bloody wallet.

I only bought it last week, and I'm not really bothered about selling it - I was looking for something that I could put a Charlie Christian pickup into that wouldn't be too expensive. Then I realised that I'd probably end up playing the same old shite on it and sound exactly the same as usual, so why bother?

But - it's such a nice, bluesy, jazzy guitar - and it's really nice to play the cowboy chords with as well, giving quite an acoustic vibe, even plugged in. I could easily keep it, but you know what I said about cutting down? Well, that. I really love the shape of this guitar, sort of traditional (obviously) but with a nice tight sexy shape. Gawd, I need help...

There's nothing bad that I can say about it, it's in great condition, it plays ever so nicely, it looks great (to me - see above!) it's got 11-50 balanced tension strings on now, but it sounds great with flatwounds, and seems to intonate very well with either flats or rounds. It's sort of in competition with my ES-125, and the 125 just has the edge, although it's tempting to keep the Godin as well as I've sold the ES-125 three times already and you never know. Actually, you do.

£600 should be quite a bargain for this little beauty - I don't fancy any trades against this, unless it's a straight swap for an L-5 or similar of course. Well, I can dream.

Do feel free to message me and I'm happy to chat. I might even be prepared to post the Godin (but not the Gretsch)  to the right person, although I'm happy to drive for miles and miles to meet any punters in the  most unhygienic dogging areas, deserted moors at night, seedy laybys, public conveniences, maybe North Yorkshire and possibly even motorway services. Maybe even Toddington if they've cleaned up after last time.

What a load of drivel. I'm so sorry that you've had to read this, but congratulations if you haven't. Do message me if you're interested, but don't ask about Toddington.

Call me Dave.
3reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DB1DB1 Frets: 5031
    Well, it's a bit dark to take decent pics, so will wait until the weekend (or when it's next light!) but thought I'd give this a little bump in spite of the frenzy of apathy so far encountered.  :)

Quite a bit of interest on eBay, and one kind scammer on Gumtree though. Still, at least he cares. Tosspot.

Call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The 6120 looks cool
    Thanks!

Had a couple of trade offers for the Gretsch, thanks (but not quite what I'm looking for) and a 'not bad' offer on eBay for cash and collection, so am doing a bit of negotiating on that. Nothing settled though, so if anyone's keen, shout or out or forever hold your piece hold your peace.

Call me Dave.
    Finally, some more pics. It looks like my Gretsch eBayer is a dealer that won't pay what I'm happy with in the end, so that's that.

Anyway, a few of the lovely Godin first.....

Call me Dave.
    Now the Gretsch. I'm  trying to show 'natural relicing' - don't forget, there's no extra charge for this. :)

If you're a fan of genuine wear though (to be serious), you'll like this. Even the bloody case is 'relic'd'.

Call me Dave.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6884
    edited October 2022
    DB1 said:
    Now the Gretsch. I'm  trying to show 'natural relicing' - don't forget, there's no extra charge for this. :)

You and your Gretsch GAS!  ;)

Another reason for you to have kept the 6120 Nash Chet that you sold me! 
    Yes, it's a nice guitar, that one. It's not one that I miss, tbh, but one that's probably better in the hands of someone more capable than me. 
    Call me Dave.
    Godin sold via eBay to an absolute gent from East Staffs.

Gretsch still available for now. Had some more trade offers but not quite my thing.
    Call me Dave.
    A little bump. Plenty of interest on eBay, but not a lot here, apart from a couple of nice (but not quite 'me') trade offers.
    Call me Dave.
  • Benm39Benm39 Frets: 801
    Luvverly looking gretsch but I'd want to be able to adjust the tone and volume beyond 3 and 4...

GLWTS 
    Benm39 said:
    Luvverly looking gretsch but I'd want to be able to adjust the tone and volume beyond 3 and 4...

GLWTS 

Oh, you can adjust them any time of the day that you like. :)

Just had a little play on it using a Jr Barnyard pedal and a sort of BB-type loop and it sounded blooming great. Lots of wrong notes, of course, but it's got some lovely thick tones to it as well as 'that great Gretsch sound'.

Now I don't want to sell it and I blame you for this. =)

We'll see what the next couple of days brings.
    Call me Dave.
    It brings bills, so... bump.
    Call me Dave.
    Sold via eBay, subject to payment/collection etc. Will update if it goes horribly wrong.
    Call me Dave.