The genius of…Bricks Are Heavy (L7)

What's Hot
imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3862
edited October 2022 in Music
I saw this today, so thought I’d give it a spin for tje first time in a while. Absolutely brilliant album that still sounds fresh. I love the wild, unrefined punk vibe that combines great melodies with powerful riffs. Gutted that twice their London shows were cancelled due to COVID and still not rescheduled. 

https://guitar.com/review/album/the-genius-of-bricks-are-heavy-by-l7/

Listen here:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fWvV3ycGdtQ&feature=youtu.be

Highlights for me: Everglade and Shitlist. I thinl the production is absolutely perfect (Butch Vig).

And, yes, one of them did pull down her pants live on The Word and pulled out a tampon and threw it in the crowd at Reading 1992. Most iconic moment for me is Shitlist playing during Natural Born Killers.

Edit: I didn’t expect many responses because they’re women who don’t show off their tits. So, let’s  hear it for tedious chats about YouTube guitar girl boobs or Nina Strauss. Yawn. 
Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Missed this thread..... completely agree! I bought this on tape when it came out when I was 15, at the massive HMV on Oxford Street, I've loved it ever since. Tons of attitude, hooks, riffs and Butch Vig's production is magnificent, that buzzing guitar sound is so good. And solos that are perfect examples of where a couple of notes work far better than a million per second (eg Mr. Integrity). Some surfy elements and solos too (Slide). A classic album that gets overlooked for other more well-known albums of the time. Never did see them live. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MrTeeMrTee Frets: 517
    Agree. 'Shitlist' on NBK is so well placed 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23844
    And, yes, one of them did pull down her pants live on The Word and pulled out a tampon and threw it in the crowd at Reading 1992. 
    Well done pre-empting those comments, anyway.

I don't think I've ever listened to any of their albums.  For some reason whenever they're mentioned I think of Faith No More, were they also on Slash/London Records?
  • yorkioyorkio Frets: 174
    Philly_Q said:
    I don't think I've ever listened to any of their albums.  For some reason whenever they're mentioned I think of Faith No More, were they also on Slash/London Records?
    They were on Slash/London, yes. I remember seeing them as support for Faith No More on the Angel Dust tour.
  • I missed L7 totally, in the sense of giving them any ear time, even though I saw the word and all that - we were amazed by it all watching after a night at the pub - but had a listen on Youtube just now and the riffing and drumming on the first track is awesome. Not too keen on the vox though, and the rest of the tracks seems a bit different to the opener.

I’m sure, being charitable, there’s not been many responses more because they weren’t particularly massive 30 years ago and probably even less so now. 
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4405
    edited October 2022
    One of the albums of my youth. 

Pretend We’re Dead was my favourite tune I think. I can still remember how to play the riff. I think it was one of the first things I learned to play. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• ReverendReverend Frets: 5239
    FIrst ep was much better.  Shove is an all time classic
  • Reverend said:
    Yeah Smell the Magic was a great EP, it was the first thing I heard from L7 as I used to buy everything Sub Pop whether I had heard of them or not.. I then got their debut self titled album which was awesome.

I like Bricks are Heavy, it's good start to finish, but the earlier stuff is better.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5208
    Does anyone know what guitar gear was used on the album? Pedals etc? 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23844
    Reverend said:
    Yeah Smell the Magic was a great EP, it was the first thing I heard from L7 as I used to buy everything Sub Pop whether I had heard of them or not.. I then got their debut self titled album which was awesome.
    Big Chief?  I loved that band, but they seem to be almost forgotten.
  • Philly_Q said:
    Reverend said:
    Big Chief?  I loved that band, but they seem to be almost forgotten.
    Yep, Face and Mack Avenue are great albums, very different sound to what was coming out at the time..

Rockaboom in Leicester was my go to shop, they used to get Sub Pop stuff imported for me, cost me a fortune but so many great albums acquired.

Shows my love for the record label.

1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom