Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Do you have a music room? Can I see it?

What's Hot
As titled! 

We've realised we hardly ever have guests so looking at turning our spare room from "spare bedroom with music shit in it" to "music room with a sofa bed". Ideally don't want to make it a man cave decor-wise but I'll definitely have electronic drums, guitar bits and a keyboard in there. And probably a proper stereo & turntable as well. 

So I need inspiration. Where do you play at home and what tips would you give? 
The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Sofa beds are often a waste of space and money, being not very good in either role. Consider instead having an inflatable mattress, as long as you can clear floor space for the occasional visitor then you will be quids in.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Sofa beds are often a waste of space and money, being not very good in either role.
    That's precisely why they're great in a music room - whether people are just hanging out or staying the night, they discourage visitors from overstaying their welcome ;)
    <space for hire>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Sofa beds are often a waste of space and money, being not very good in either role. Consider instead having an inflatable mattress, as long as you can clear floor space for the occasional visitor then you will be quids in.
    Push a couple of fender cases together and a duvet and thats all you need
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sofa beds are often a waste of space and money, being not very good in either role.
    That's precisely why they're great in a music room - whether people are just hanging out or staying the night, they discourage visitors from overstaying their welcome ;)
    That's basically the plan. I want something I can sit on to play guitar that ideally doubles as a bed very occasionally.

But you can ignore the bed question - I want to see how other people have their guitars & pedals etc at home!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Oh cool. I couldn't agree more than making music needs it's own space. 

I do have a music room but I'm unable to show it to you as we have house renovations going on so it's turned into a storage space
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13581
    1 bedroom has always been an office/music room 

guests either come in with us "willy wonka stylee"    or sleep with Winnie and Wilf

we don't get many guests
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Also checkout out this for inspiration

https://instagram.com/homerigshare?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • No music room but I do have a retro games console room with a bed in it.

No way would I waste a "spare" room on a guest room. They can sleep in the retro room or get the Z bed out.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Neilybob said:
    Also checkout out this for inspiration

https://instagram.com/homerigshare?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
    Ta - that's very helpful! 

I've even started a Pinterest... https://www.pinterest.com/mikeriddle13/music-room/ ;

and another board for potential art https://www.pinterest.com/mikeriddle13/art/

And a selection of potential guitars that may end up on walls (max 3... I'm not running a shop!)

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1648
    I've a music room, but it's more like a storage space with guitars currently and for the forseeable. Sofabeds can be pricy, but one in a room makes a great bass trap. The problem with an inflatable is that the floor space can  get eaten by other things between uses.

I wouldn't know how to begin chosing between those guitars - I'll take em all as a joblot if you chuck in the Eames chair. Deal?
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7099
    I’ve got a ikea sofa bed in mine- was fairly expensive, but works well as both sofa and bed.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5483
    mrkb said:
    I’ve got a ikea sofa bed in mine- was fairly expensive, but works well as both sofa and bed.

Do you actually have space in yours to turn that into a bed? I seem to remember it being somewhat cosy with gear :)
  • GoFish said:
    I've a music room, but it's more like a storage space with guitars currently and for the forseeable. Sofabeds can be pricy, but one in a room makes a great bass trap. The problem with an inflatable is that the floor space can  get eaten by other things between uses.

I wouldn't know how to begin chosing between those guitars - I'll take em all as a joblot if you chuck in the Eames chair. Deal?
    Haha! The Eames is a knockoff - I'm not wasting guitar money on furniture!! :P 

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 7099
    Snags said:
    mrkb said:

Do you actually have space in yours to turn that into a bed? I seem to remember it being somewhat cosy with gear :)
    Wrong music room Pete! I’m talking about the spare room/office/music room, not the garden room/music room :)
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6289
    I used to have my gear setup in my house's extension, but recently it's migrated to a tiny upstairs box room so the drum kit is no longer set up, not that I could play it any more thanks to my permanently broken shoulder  :'(

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15937
    like yours, my music room doubles as a guest room. Admittedly, most of the furniture and fittings are designed to, um, encourage those guests to stay longer than they intended, but still, it's a guest room!!!

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• SnagsSnags Frets: 5483
    @mrkb How remiss of me :lol: 
  • khaotickhaotic Frets: 109
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29326
    Yes, and probably not from there.

Hope that helps. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • I'm redoing mine at the minute. Will be watching this for inspiration