THE THING...new amp day

What's Hot
samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
So yesterday morning...I did a 5 hour train round-trip to wolverhampton to pick up the The Thing...as I like to call it...

Not him...

But...once you see the amp I got, you'll realise why the name and the picture is quite apt at describing the feeling of playing through the amp...

So, without anymore suspense...
A 1974 Marshall JMP Superbass...!!!

I played this for about 15 minutes doing the deal with @Duppy03 (who is btw a top block to deal with)...we then wrapped it up and I trekked from Wolverhampton to the London Gearfest in Acton. I played it for the guys for about another 15 minutes...and with my pedals it was absolutely amazing...i could feel the vibrations sub sonic vibrations going through my whole internal organs like an earthquake!

Today...i got to really play around with it at home, milder volumes, but still it lost nothing in quality. I tried each input, did the whole jumping inputs thing, but settled on the top right as being my favourite sound. 

I think...and I have said this before prematurely, but this time I have a feeling I'm right...I think this is The Amp I have been looking for. The bottom end on it is spectacular, the treble is useable for me (I hate a trebly or bright tones) and it just sounds...right!

With pedals it shines, i haven't heard my pedals sound so good before, the dirt pedals come alive with this amp in a way that I didn't think possible.

Obvioulsy I'm extremely chuffed and to quote Blackadder...I'm as happy as a frenchman who has just invested a pair of self-removing trousers!

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dindudedindude Frets: 8630
    I can vouch for the fact that it is capable of moving the earth, and, more personally, my own bowel movement took a leap forwards after sitting in front if it for 10 minutes!

A very awesome thing indeed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31591
    You should call it Nikki....

As in Superb Ass Nikki Minge-Arse.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    Epic as fuck mate :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74497
    And if there's anyone who still thinks that modern Marshalls sound anything like old ones, go and listen to this amp for a couple of minutes.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • camfcamf Frets: 1203
    I like that! Great amps. 
  • good work, i definitely see a JMP in my future

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 32394
    edited September 2014
    My stage rig in 1980 was a 50w Superlead and a 100w Superbass, with 8x10 and 4x12 cabs.

When I started shopping for new Marshalls around '86 everything I tried was gutless fizzy nonsense, and other than a couple of reissues so has everything else they've made ever since.

I don't think any company has so completely and hopelessly lost the plot without going bust and being taken over.

That's a proper amp, and you'll always regret it if you sell it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Wooow! That's a fricken awesome looking thing, and a legendary amp to boot. 

Don't ever sell it. 
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    edited September 2014
    ! I can feel it from here :O
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1826

That is a Marshall Amplifer.

A real Marshall Amplifier.

& i'm now very jealous

• ICBM said:
    And if there's anyone who still thinks that modern Marshalls sound anything like old ones, go and listen to this amp for a couple of minutes.

thats exactly what I thought when i played through it the first time...the lightbulb moment..."so this is what a Marshall sounds like"!!!

it can definitely move some air...if I had the space I would get a ported 2x15 cab along with the 4x12 I have...that would quite epic. As it is, when I play I can hear the rattling sound from the wine glasses in the kitchen cupboard!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I am ashamed and envious to say that I've never actually played one of these. The oldest Marshall I've ever played was a JCM800 combo.
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 567
    I am ashamed to say that although I have played through a lovely old, slightly battle scared, 70's Marshall valve head, I didn't appreciate what it was at the time. 

• Drew_fx said:
    I am ashamed and envious to say that I've never actually played one of these. The oldest Marshall I've ever played was a JCM800 combo.

well...you know where I live...if you ever wanted to check it out let me know.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74497
    Drew_fx said:
    Given who one of your favourite players is, you *really* need to play a JMP Super Bass at least once...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 32394
    samzadgan;352681" said:
    when I play I can hear the rattling sound from the wine glasses in the kitchen cupboard!
    I blew three fluorescent lights down from the ceiling of the Market Tavern in Hereford with mine during a soundcheck.

Happy days. :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1836
    edited September 2014
    I have a little money coming my way Mid November and the jury is out as to whether I go for the back friendly option of a Fender Custom Deluxe or have a little mid-life crisis type of thing and buy a 70's JMP and Cab to scare every landlord in the country...this thread is making think the latter....
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1826

Playing through a Marshall of this calibre a few times. It's the sound you've always had in your head coming to life.

I can only imagine it's the equivilent of a drug addidct. You're always chasing the feel of that first hit.

So who'd like to buy a kidney from me so i can fund one of these?

ICBM;352737" said:
    Drew_fx said:

Given who one of your favourite players is, you *really* need to play a JMP Super Bass at least once...
    I know I know I know... I'm a total fail. ;))
  • This is such a killer amp. The vibrations were awesome and it sounded amazing. Every time you fire this up, my eyes will start bleeding. Those in proximity will run scared, believing me to be in the early throes of Ebola.

Fools.

It will only be a few strides later when they too start seeping blood from orifices that really shouldn't, (unless you're caught in the white container where @antique_guitars works). By then, it will be too late and @samzadgan kicking in the Palisades will cause an end to it all.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom