THE THING...new amp day

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Aye this thing is a beast, there is something proper sexy about those old Marshall! They make me want to touch a nun!
    Old Is Gold
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32394
    Once the novelty wears off you'll realise how good they are when played quietly too, with just a simple pedal or two.

Most people swear that MV amp overdrive is better than pedal overdrive - they're not always right, it depends on the clean platform.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74497
    This is such a killer amp. The vibrations were awesome and it sounded amazing.
    It's that incredibly rich, vibrant tone they have which the new ones don't. It's difficult to understand until you hear an old one.

p90fool said:
    Once the novelty wears off you'll realise how good they are when played quietly too, with just a simple pedal or two.
    Completely agree. They don't have the strident low-volume tone the Super Lead can tend to either, since there's no oversized bright cap on the volume control.

p90fool said:
    Most people swear that MV amp overdrive is better than pedal overdrive - they're not always right, it depends on the clean platform.
    Or you could do what I did when I had my Major (which was also a bass model originally) - build an external unit which is an exact 2203 MV preamp circuit! Best of both worlds. Still one of the best low-volume tones I've ever had, and I regret selling it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    edited September 2014
    So this has a ppimv which works really well. Tonight im going to play around with that and get nice OD tone that i could easily use for cleans with a little volume roll off.

Also my board was always going to be revisited with this purchase. I promised myself n the spirit of vintage, i would go to a minimal board and leave more of my sound to the amp. So up for the cut are...
    Compressor
    Chorus
    Tremelo
    One of my dirt boxes (not sure which one yet - palisades or quantum mystic)

This would leave
    Volume
    Wah
    Tuner
    Phaser
    Reverb
    Delay
    Only 1 Dirt (palisades/quantum mystic/pharaoh fuzz)

I need a session like @hubobulous had at gearfest to work it all out!
  • Dude, I'd love to have another session aimed at dialling in tones/settings. @kebabkid - we might have an opportunity to work something out.....
  • God I really want one
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Me too
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    edited September 2014
    Crude little play through...trying to decide between different dirt pedals...
    The first one is palisades then its the quantum mystic...i think QM sounds better with it...thoughts?
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LdsFA8EDVyc

• They are similar for sure. I think there was a more articulate tone with the QM, but it's close
  • samzadgan said:
    ICBM said:
    And if there's anyone who still thinks that modern Marshalls sound anything like old ones, go and listen to this amp for a couple of minutes.

thats exactly what I thought when i played through it the first time...the lightbulb moment..."so this is what a Marshall sounds like"!!!

it can definitely move some air...if I had the space I would get a ported 2x15 cab along with the 4x12 I have...that would quite epic. As it is, when I play I can hear the rattling sound from the wine glasses in the kitchen cupboard!

I've always liked when you can hear the guitar rattling the wires on the snare- you know that's some tone you can FEEL!

Good GAS!!   Another great example of something from back in the day when we actually made things to be GOOD.

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7406
    Come to think of t - I felt a bit of a tremor down in the South too...but I put it down to trapped wind...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>