Decent inexpensive speakers as monitors for playing through laptop?

What's Hot
Not looking to spend megabucks, but are there any decent options for speakers to play through via a laptop?

I usually run either a Fender digital head or my old Axe fx into Garageband then listen live, just for general practice as much as recording. I'm currently using a couple of small Wharfedale speakers that I used to use with my hi fi. They are not too inspiring!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27100
    edited October 2022
    Depends how much space you've got. I use passive Tannoy Reveal 6s with an old Denon all-in-one hi-fi as the power amp. You can pick those Tannoys up for about £80 on eBay, and they're absolutely brilliant.

EDIT: Even less on Facebook Marketplace, I'm seeing them for £50-60, as are the active Reveal 5As.
    <space for hire>
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29197
    I have a spare pair of Yamaha MS10S. If you fancy a trip to Hampshire. £20 and a decent sized tin of Fox bisquits. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
    Sporky said:
    I have a spare pair of Yamaha MS10S. If you fancy a trip to Hampshire. £20 and a decent sized tin of Fox bisquits. 
    Thanks for the thought but a bit of a trek at 90 miles. I have a feeling I bought a pillar drill off you once though?
    Did I make you take a load of other stuff? If so then that sounds like me! 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
    Sporky said:
    Did I make you take a load of other stuff? If so then that sounds like me! 
    Yes! A routing table that I have made use of a lot, and a jig for making an LP neck - not yet worked that out! The Pillar drill has been brilliant, I don't know how I managed without one.
    edited October 2022
    I might be able to explain the scarfe joint jig, but I wouldn't put money on it. 
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1960
    I bought a pair of Presonus Eris 3.5's for using when I'm working away from home. I thought they were pretty decent for the money. They are obviously built to a price, but overall, I think they sounded OK. The version I had featured a bluetooth connection so you can play music from your phone, that feature worked well. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 829
    Ilouds
  • andy_k said:
    Ilouds
    Love my iLoud Micro Monitors and in the grand scheme of studio monitors they are cheap and sound way better then you might imagine a tiny speaker would, but I guess it depends what budget the OP has.
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 829
    I like iLouds bang for buck, hard to justify anything better for me, and they work great for general BT use too if they are turned on.
    I see mine as good headphones not worn, and can't have a dedicated studio set up, they could be the modern version of NS10 or Avantone mixcubes, maybe?