To Bigsby, or not to Bigsby... That is the question..

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2676
    So I went for it... only problem is the saddles. They are not holding my E strings. Especially the high E. 

I have shimmed the neck at the heel, but I think I need threaded saddles. Currently using Gotoh in-tune saddles...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20601
    Aren't they similar to the standard Vibramate 'short bridge' saddles?
    I'd try the threaded or maybe Wilkinson style saddles if I were you. Cheap beginning & it may work  ;)
    Looks bloody great by the way :+1: 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Aren't they similar to the standard Vibramate 'short bridge' saddles?
    I'd try the threaded or maybe Wilkinson style saddles if I were you. Cheap beginning & it may work  ;)
    Looks bloody great by the way :+1: 
    Thanks @kittyfrisk !

I think i will get some threaded saddles first. If that doesn't do the trick I have a jag style bridge that I can try  :#
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    You could just deepen the grooves with a small file.

If you’re going to replace them I would go for plain steel saddles with deep grooves, late-60s/70s type - threaded ones look great but the grooves can be in the wrong places to get the correct string spacing, and the low E in particular doesn’t always fit properly and can jump out.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    You could just deepen the grooves with a small file.

If you’re going to replace them I would go for plain steel saddles with deep grooves, late-60s/70s type - threaded ones look great but the grooves can be in the wrong places to get the correct string spacing, and the low E in particular doesn’t always fit properly and can jump out.
    Was only thinking the same thing about the threaded saddles this morning @ICBM ;

Also, the outer strings leave the saddle at more of an angle due to the bigsby. Begs the question about the saddles on the jag style bridge that you see mostly on Fenders with bigsbys
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    lovestrat74 said:

Begs the question about the saddles on the jag style bridge that you see mostly on Fenders with bigsbys
    Strings jumping out of the grooves is the most common complaint about those bridges - along with a couple of others which are more easily solved - hence the popularity of Mustang saddles and the Mastery bridge as replacements.

I used an original ‘65 Jaguar for many years with no problems, but even then I would have to admit to the low E popping out of the groove a couple of times when hit hard - I eventually filed it deeper, which I’m sure would horrify the vintage purists :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Didn't think about mustang saddles. Never seen them for sale individually, only as a complete bridge.

I have a mastery on another guitar that I could swap out. That one has a descendant bridge so the stings pull straight through to the trem (no angle), so putting a mustang bridge on that guitar should be OK.