NGD / Modding project / Squier CV Mustang

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
    edited October 2022
    Your floral addendum calls to mind this ex-Pete Townsend guitar - I once had the pleasure of playing it in a shop called the Guitar Factory in Bexley Village (long gone now).

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10932
    Fair play, DiMarzio. They really stepped in

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15274
    Now, that's what I call aftersales service.

The high output level of the Tone Zone S pickup pretty much negates any need to have the option to connect both pickups in series. Coil splittage might help to bring the TZS into parity with a vintage style single coil neck position pickup.

Alternatively, invest in another DiMarzio hum-cancelling pickup such as the Air Norton S or the Satch Track.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @Funkfingers yes I have two wires now so another Dimarzio in the neck is an option :-) 

I've been playing through dirty amps recently and have found that by connecting only the neck pickup to the coil split on my PRS I can go from dirty to clean by switching from bridge to split neck. The output discrepancy is actually quite useful in this context 

I'll give this a go with the stock bridge pickup in neck position before resorting to anything more drastic. Keeping an open mind at this stage
    Okay finally put some time aside for the rewiring. Got this far and it worked

Front switch is a pickup selector

Back switch is a series/parallel/partial split for the humbucker

Since this photo I added a parallel resistor to the neck pickup so it sees a 250k load

It wouldn't squash into the cavity so I've had to move the ground wires on the switches. Next time (if there is one) I will ground them on the bass side. The route on the treble side protrudes to allow for the pickguard screws

So now the switching bit is out of the way I just have to do the tone and volume. I'm having a pub break. I might change the dimarzio cover for a bright white one, the colours don't quite match

Very close to having a functioning guitar now yay

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    (Tidying this shithole is further down my to-do list)
    Done. Control plate 

I kept the same amount of slack as the factory ground wires

Here it is. The control/pickup layout works really well. The coil split and parallel modes are too similar though so I might go a full coil split or put a lower resistor in. Next string change :-)

Let's see if the tuning stabilises over the next few days. I suspect it'll need some jiggery-pokery to make it work

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Had a think today and made a slight change to the wiring

The back switch still toggles between parallel/series/split mode on the tone zone but now the split mode is a full split and in that mode the pickup only sees a 250k load

It took just about every last bit of brain power to figure that one out

The split mode is much more satisfying now. It can do the twangy ghostriders in the sky thing and with both pickups on it does that glassy meters kind of sound. It's still a little more muscular than a real single coil but close enough to pass

Need to get the setup right now. Got 11s on in E standard and it's just an little too much. I'll probably get a tusq nut and a better string tree
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom