Joan Armatrading

What's Hot
thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2960
Just watching her on BBC2 from a recorded gig in 2021 ( no audience, but played live).

Some very nifty playing going on and a nice blue Variax 69 as her main electric.

Been a fan since the 80s, its good to see she's still touring and playing well.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16463
    edited October 2022
    She had a live album out three or four years ago which was very good and a similar set IIRC. Same as on this BBC set that she does occasionally dip into guitar sounds that veer close to the presets on multi FX that most people learn to skip. But that aside yes great voice, song writing, great playing, great band. She’s a very successful artist but maybe not cherished quite as much as she should be somehow. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1446
    Just watching her on BBC2 from a recorded gig in 2021 ( no audience, but played live).

Some very nifty playing going on and a nice blue Variax 69 as her main electric.

Been a fan since the 80s, its good to see she's still touring and playing well.
    Was watching this last night.
    Trouble is these days when I see a band on telly I spend half the time trying to figure out what is live and what isn't.

The keyboard player wasn't playing all those parts..? and I'm always bemused when a singer drops a microphone to chest level and there's no difference in volume. Still, whatever they were using was pretty seamless and rehearsed.. great band and Armatrading is a phenomenal (and underrated) talent.

Armatrading using working musician gear - boss pedals, an HX stomp, Boss Volume pedal...no amp in sight.
    She just gets on with songwriting, singing and performing... ?
    Bass player using a Vintage bass and tiny Ashdown amp - she had a pedal to do that fretless Kate Bush sounding bass sound as well?
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16463
    There’s a 2015 interview about gear where she talks about the Variax to replace taking several different electrics on the road and having one of the iRig stomps (so straight to the desk rather than a traditional amp I think it implies). 
    I was probably a bit rude above but she does sometimes seem to like very processed tones that seem at odds with what she is playing. Still, I appreciate that I’m not the one who is an internationally acclaimed artist. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3111
    I enjoyed the documentary that was on before it. Lots of footage of her with an LP Special and a Tom Anderson. Apart from Drop The Pilot it was mostly new to me. Very enjoyable.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• TTonyTTony Frets: 28098
    Brilliant songwriter.  Very under-stated musician.  And just a lovely person.

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I've seen her live a couple of times (80s and 90s)  but missed her in 2018 as she was unwell and the Brighton gig was cancelled.  Very underrated as a songwriter and a player.

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14879
    tFB Trader
    I used to call her Joan Armour Plating - But yes some great songs
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23844
    The last time I saw her on TV was during the coverage of the Queen's funeral, being interviewed by Huw Edwards.  I guess she talked about meeting the Queen and getting her CBE, I don't remember exactly.  She looks well.

I don't know much about her music really, but I like the way she keeps a low profile, produces  music at a pace which suits her and seems to maintain a steady level of success.  It's mot necessarily better to burn out than to fade away.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom