Switching from a G3 to a MS-70CDR?

What's Hot
DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2567
So, I've been running a G3 on my board at home for a while, and I like what I can do with it.  Problem is, I'm essentially using it as a mod box, and never use the drives, fuzzes or amp models.  I've played around with the looper a little, but never use the in-built rhythms.  The tuner is OK.

I've caught myself looking at the 70CDR a few times and thinking "that would do me", but just wondered what others thought.  Anyone else switched from a G3 to one of these?  I know dedicated foot switches aside, that there are other things I'd be missing out on (PC patch editing, USB recording) but I really don't find myself using them regularly enough.  Mostly concerned with practical issues, really...like how well does patch/chain switching work with the single switch?

I could keep the G3 and get a 70CDR as well, but I'm trying to curb that shit as much as I can, and there's so much overlap between them functionally (for me at least) that one or the other would probably end up gathering dust.
New fangled trading feedback link right here!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7922
    at least if you had both you could spend a little time deciding which was best, then sell the other one ;)
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I've just bought an M5 for these duties...
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • I use a G3 for exactly the same effects as you. They're all delays or mods. That means I can get up to six effects of this type all running at once if I choose to. Obviously I don't use them all at once but I set up one patch with the following effects:
    Phaser > Chorus > med Delay > long delay > slapback delay > volume boost

I can then switch the effect on and off within a song but in between songs I can quickly scroll up and down inside the patch to the view of the effects I need in the three windows on the unit.

I could have replaced the G3 with the MS-70CDR but I wouldn't had the flexibilty of switching effects on and off inside a song without a massive amount of tap dancing or fiddling. You also have to stick to your set list fairly rigorously unless you, again, start messing about between songs.

I think the difference in in your use case. If you can manage to change effects quickly or to your satisfaction then the MS-70 is perfectly capable of giving you all the effects you need. For me, all my use is live as I never record so I want an easy switching capability that can be looked after in the heat of the moment on stage.

• I use a G3 for exactly the same effects as you. They're all delays or mods. That means I can get up to six effects of this type all running at once if I choose to. Obviously I don't use them all at once but I set up one patch with the following effects:
    Phaser > Chorus > med Delay > long delay > slapback delay > volume boost

I can then switch the effect on and off within a song but in between songs I can quickly scroll up and down inside the patch to the view of the effects I need in the three windows on the unit.

I could have replaced the G3 with the MS-70CDR but I wouldn't had the flexibilty of switching effects on and off inside a song without a massive amount of tap dancing or fiddling. You also have to stick to your set list fairly rigorously unless you, again, start messing about between songs.

I think the difference in in your use case. If you can manage to change effects quickly or to your satisfaction then the MS-70 is perfectly capable of giving you all the effects you need. For me, all my use is live as I never record so I want an easy switching capability that can be looked after in the heat of the moment on stage.

Cheers.  Useful observations all!  Since discovering the joys of stacking delays, I've been pretty much exclusively using the G3 in Patch mode to switch to some stock patches I've made.  I have the G3 in a bypass looper, which helps with tidier switching of patches.  It's much rarer that I use and switch individual stomp models on/off within a patch, so that's another of the G3's benefits that I can potentially cross off my list.
  • longilongi Frets: 95
    I have an MS-70, it's darned easy to program and it sounds rather flicking good. There's defiinately something good about it or it would have been gone long ago! It's one of those pedals that could get you out of a real pickle if some of your setup went down and you only had a couple of other pedals to hand. I don't think I'll ever sell it It's a nifty bit of kit.
  • Paul_C said:
    at least if you had both you could spend a little time deciding which was best, then sell the other one ;)
    See?  This is why I try and avoid this place now.

Seriously though, that's how it's going to happen, isn't it?
  • marktheharpmarktheharp Frets: 89
    edited September 2014
    I also have an Ms70cdr .really impressed with it and recorded some tracks with it !
    feel free to message me if ya wanna know anything about it..
    as others have said it might not be the.most gig friendly pedal if you wanna switch fx on the fly ?
    but for shoe gaze ,ambient stuff (expensive,wacky,unusual fx) can't be beat for the price ;-)
  • cbellangacbellanga Frets: 572
    edited September 2014
    you could control the ms70 with a midi control and a usb hub and that would sort the access to the patches:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17907
    tFB Trader
    That's awesome didn't realise you could do that. 

The only shame of it is that all the USB to MIDI converters I can find cost more than my G3 did!
  • MS-70CDR arrived in time for me to play around with it over the weekend.  Initial observations...

- Using it with a bypass looper pedal, patch switching suits me just fine.  String together several patches in an A/B list and cycling with the foot switch is fairly painless for my needs.
    - Good job on the user-friendliness front.  I was putting together patches and FX chains with barely a glance at the manual.
    - Some of the "extra" models not present on the G3, are really very very good.  Loving the '63 Spring, Plate and Particle reverbs..the extra Mod Delay and Tape Echoes also great.

...not ditching the G3 completely, but will probably relegate it to headphone and recording duty, with the 70CDR replacing it on my board.
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4640
    I had the CDR but am going to exchange it for the MS-50 as i didnt find the reverbs that great and the MS-50 has more modulations to mess around with
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    I did the opposite. They're two very different pedals that overlap on the modulation department. For me, I use the multiple footswitches for switching effects on and off, and the addition of a volume pedal externally is a key feature to my sounds.