eBay - advise me in this tricky situation

So I've just sold a high value item on eBay (£1500). It was an auction and in an effort to drum up more interest I opened up the listing to EU buyers. The winning bidder has zero feedback from Portugal. He has paid through Paypal but my senses tell me to abort this situation quickly! I'm thinking this guy is going to contact his credit card and issue a chargeback through Paypal say a couple of months down the line. I have no proof of this is going to happen but it has happened to me in the past. I also know that I can get tracked shipping if he opens a dispute and upload that evidence but if ebay side with him it would cripple me. Another thing - he's very unlikely to agree to cancel the auction which would leave me also out of pocket with ebay fees. Any suggestions folks? Is it damage limitation time and suck up loss of fess or can I wriggle out of this one? Please help!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• If you didn't set any conditions on buyers feedback and he has bought and paid then if you cancel it - you get to suffer the losses of the listing fees etc.

The other person might be entirely safe, but if you want to pull out then it would be very unfair to try and blame the other person in any way.

If you want out - then you pay the ebay fees and take it on the chin.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• BBBluesBBBlues Frets: 636
    Yeah thought as much. Really didn't think the listing through. Any other advice folks? What would people do in my situation?
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25109
    edited September 2014
    If the guy's paid, I don't really understand why you think he's up to anything dodgy.  I feel a bit sorry for him if he's a genuine buyer.

If he does claim his credit card was used fraudulently (which I assume would be the basis of the chargeback) you should be covered by PayPal Seller Protection if you have proof the item was sent and delivered (I suppose he could dispute that as well, but it's all getting a bit complicated).

If you really don't trust this guy, I guess the first thing is to contact him and say you don't want to proceed with the sale.  I don't think it costs anything to refund his money through PayPal.

Getting back the eBay selling fees is a different matter, unless you can agree between you to open a "dispute" to cancel the sale altogether.  I've done that before when a buyer said he'd "forgotten" he bid on my item.  But I've not been in a situation where someone has actually paid then I've changed my mind.

• DodgeDodge Frets: 1492
    Philly_Q said:
    ... you should be covered by PayPal Seller Protection if you have proof the item was sent and delivered (I suppose he could dispute that as well, but it's all getting a bit complicated).

This applies as long as the buyer has a Paypal confirmed address on file.  Ship it to anywhere else and Seller Protection does not apply.

If he hasn't got a confirmed address on file, I would contact Ebay for 'official' advise on how to proceed.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74495
    I would not trust any buyer whose first Ebay purchase was a £1500 guitar from overseas. Buying on Ebay is a bit of a learning experience too, and even with Ebay and Paypal's buyer protection claims I can't see that being something a new buyer would risk until they're more familiar with the system.

In the unlikely event that he is a genuine buyer it would be better if he did not raise so many red flags at the same time, otherwise he'll most likely be disappointed in future as well.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25109
    I didn't know that.  Good point.

It sounds like just cancelling the sale is the way to go.
    ICBM said:
    I would not trust any buyer whose first Ebay purchase was a £1500 guitar from overseas. Buying on Ebay is a bit of a learning experience too, and even with Ebay and Paypal's buyer protection claims I can't see that being something a new buyer would risk until they're more familiar with the system.

In the unlikely event that he is a genuine buyer it would be better if he did not raise so many red flags at the same time, otherwise he'll most likely be disappointed in future as well.

Thank you. This articulates and justifys my feelings.
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16315
    BBBlues said:
    So I've just sold a high value item on eBay (£1500). It was an auction and in an effort to drum up more interest I opened up the listing to EU buyers. The winning bidder has zero feedback from Portugal. He has paid through Paypal but my senses tell me to abort this situation quickly! I'm thinking this guy is going to contact his credit card and issue a chargeback through Paypal say a couple of months down the line. I have no proof of this is going to happen but it has happened to me in the past. I also know that I can get tracked shipping if he opens a dispute and upload that evidence but if ebay side with him it would cripple me. Another thing - he's very unlikely to agree to cancel the auction which would leave me also out of pocket with ebay fees. Any suggestions folks? Is it damage limitation time and suck up loss of fess or can I wriggle out of this one? Please help!
    what's that?
    tae be or not tae be
    Google: ebay chargeback scam
    People can issue a chargeback up to 6 months after the listing has ended
  • I'm guessing you listed it after the 2nd of September? If so £150 in fees. Have you tried to communicate with him? Explain your concerns (lack of feedback rather than potential chargeback) and give him the opertunity to respond. If there's no confirmed paypal address run away and contact ebay and you will probably recover fees. I've had zero feedback winners on high value items and it's been fine, only been stung as a buyer!!
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Flag it with eBay and explain your concerns etc.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74495
    Can you not cancel the sale due to a mistake in the listing? The mistake being that it was meant to be UK-only. Or will Ebay not let you do that any more?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2774
    I would email him and explain that the auction was meant to be UK only and offer him a full refund if he is willing to accept you cancelling the sale.   If he is ok with that then you can cancel with no fees if both parties agree.  Of course if he is a decent enough chap to do that then it suggests all might have been fine...   
    Thanks for the advise chaps - all very much appreciated. I've sent him an email asking a few questions, we'll see whether he responds