Wichita Lineman

What's Hot

Comments

• carloscarlos Frets: 3451
    A jazz-ish version from Ben Monder.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7343
    I’d forgotten all about Johnny A. I'm almost certain I saw him support Steve Vai in the mid 2000s. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dcgdcg Frets: 231
    edited October 2022
    i actually read an entire book on this song earlier this year, one whole book on one (partly finished) song! 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wichita-Lineman-Searching-Greatest-Unfinished/dp/0571353401
    Yes, I've read this book too.  However, I had to persist mightily to finish it; it's well written, but despite the extraordinary song on which Dylan Jones' book is based - which I can halfway play to a very average standard - I felt that Wichita really (only) warranted a long article, Rolling Stone-style...but delighted nevertheless this book is out there, and still truly love the song years after I first murdered it as a dep in a north London dance band
  • DefaultM said:
    I’d forgotten all about Johnny A. I'm almost certain I saw him support Steve Vai in the mid 2000s. 
    You're correct ... I saw him on the same tour, in fact I mainly went to the gig to see Johnny A play live.
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1857
    edited October 2022
    Stuckfast said:
    Lets not get into debating Gentle on My Mind!
    Is there much to debate?
    Well it seems there is much debate over where to find an accurate version to play. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4701
    roberty said:
    A masterclass in harmony. Up there with Bacharach imo

I don't think his body of work has the depth of Bacharach's but he has maybe half a dozen songs that hold their own in any company, and this is the pick of them. 

Bacharach is a songwriter; Campbell was a musician who wrote a bit but all the songs mentioned are Jimmy Webb compositions.

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11912
    rlw said:
    roberty said:

I don't think his body of work has the depth of Bacharach's but he has maybe half a dozen songs that hold their own in any company, and this is the pick of them. 

Bacharach is a songwriter; Campbell was a musician who wrote a bit but all the songs mentioned are Jimmy Webb compositions.

I just bought a used book from the charity shop last week
    "Tunesmith" by Jimmy Webb
    Not read it yet
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2597
    edited November 2022
    rlw said:
    roberty said:

I don't think anybody was thinking anything else?  I certainly took it as read that everyone knew the song was by Jimmy Webb, who's mentioned upthread: I'm not sure I even know any songs written by Campbell.

“To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • rlw said:
    roberty said:

I don't think anybody was thinking anything else?  I certainly took it as read that everyone knew the song was by Jimmy Webb, who's mentioned upthread: I'm not sure I even know any songs written by Campbell.

Glen Campbell wrote a few but not many that are immediately recognisable. He said he was cheated out of his first chart hit 'Turn Around,Look at Me' by a former friend.Here is an interesting link to the story and Campbell's songwriting credits.  https://medium.com/@jeremylr/the-complete-songwriting-list-of-wichita-lineman-glen-campbell-240272b110b0 ;
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1848
    The best version.

• Brio said:
    The best version.

I'm sure that is talented playing and way beyond anything I will ever achieve,but I find that horrible to listen to myself.
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    I think what all the covers have proved beyond doubt is that the original version is the definitive and best...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3451
    Stuckfast said:
    I think what all the covers have proved beyond doubt is that the original version is the definitive and best...
    Nope.
  • Mr_ClawMr_Claw Frets: 94
    edited January 2023
    roberty said:

...agreed. Bacharach is touched by few in pop (Antonio Carlos Jobim is prob the only obvious contender; Brian Wilson - at the sadly short-lived height of his powers). Some do absolutely brilliant stuff, but far, far less consitently than Bacharach or Jobim (eg Lee Hazelwood, Serge Gainsbourg).

Also MASSIVE shout out to Al De Lory's arrangements on both Witchita and By the Time I Get to Phoenix. Masterful jobs both.
  • Mr_ClawMr_Claw Frets: 94
    ...if he'd done more pop I'd say Ennio Morricone (I'm a HUGE Morricone fan). He did do a fair bit of pop arranging in Italy in the 50->60s, but generally I felt it more of a 'gig' than him being hugely invested in pop. That said, Se Telefonando is one of the best pop songs ever written/arranged and I'll fight to the death anyone who disagrees!

• 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3590
    Just watched Rick Beatos vid a couple of days ago and was inspired to tackle the song. I’ve approached it so I can do solo acoustic or with my 3 piece cover band.
    The @digitalkettle post above is the basis I got too from the usual chord websites. After the Carol Kay bass intro I play Bbmaj7 on the 8th fret then sus D on the top string followed by c7sus4 which kind of mimics the orchestral voicing on the intro.
    opening chord C9sus4 is fret 1 1 3 2 3 X (top string down).
    the first G is a quick Gsus4 to G to D to 0 8 07 7 X X to D
    The Gadd9 I play fret 0 3 3 2 3 3 then G then flatten the 5th string
    otherwise pretty much as you’ll find online.
    loving the chord voicings and that stuttering rhythm at the end of the chorus. Really enjoying playing this.

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3590
    edited January 2023
    OK so I’m working my way through this and decided to record a rough take on the iPad to analyse how it works. Timing is all to cock and voice is post a cold and too early in the morning so apologies for that.
    comments and suggestions welcome ladies and gentlemen. 
    https://youtu.be/c8jrQ9S_XOk

Oops made it public now!!
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I like Adrian's video on it. From Easy to Hardish. His channel 'Anyone Can Play Guitar' is excellent. He has an old style 'Punk' style to him. He is also showcasing a lovely Trent guitar.