Gaslight Anthem - Get Hurt

What's Hot
Brilliant record. Anyone else enjoying it as much as me?

Helter Skeleton is probably my highlight, not least for the title :)

Also Rolling & Tumblin', Break Your Heart and Dark Places, though Dark Places has me worried they'll finish shows with that now rather than Backseat :s
The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I havent give is a spin yet. For a long time they were my fave band (6 years or so ago) but last LP wasnt that good imo
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2457
    I havent give is a spin yet. For a long time they were my fave band (6 years or so ago) but last LP wasnt that good imo
    What?!  Handwritten is awesome!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I havent give is a spin yet. For a long time they were my fave band (6 years or so ago) but last LP wasnt that good imo
    Get out! :p

I love Handwritten. 

In fact I love every song on 59, American Slang and HW. Sink or Swim not quite so much, but it's all good.

• Not a fan of HW either. Get hurt is something of a return to form but not quite.
  • @StefB have a wisdom!

Yeah I'm really enjoying Get Hurt too. Brilliant band all round really.
  • I saw them quite a few times too. In fact, I was very close to buying Brians 62 custom tele about 4 years ago. I shouldve really as it was priced well. Oh Well....
  • I really need to buy Get Hurt...personally I'm addicted to pretty much all of Handwritten and Sink Or Swim, the middle two I find a bit patchier...YMMV, IMHO etc etc.
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    My wife really likes them, I think this is a great record. Being hyper-critical, I think it dips a bit toward the end, but it's all pretty good. My son goes batshit when Rollin & Tumblin comes on - loves the drums at the start!
  • matdotcodotmatdotcodot Frets: 179
    edited September 2014

Haven't quite got around to their latest one, but I still rate this cameo as pretty uplifting, gutsy stuff.

Great to have a guitar band to believe in as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1rTI0oCe0E

If you can read this then my time machine works.

My feedback thread is here.

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57602/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Haven't quite got around to their latest one, but I still rate this cameo as pretty uplifting, gutsy stuff.

I come back to that periodically, you can see Brian's on the verge of tears and obviously in the midst of a 'dream come true' moment; wouldn't we all love to be called onstage by The Boss?

There's the reciprocal thing at the same festival which is also lovely, Springsteen onstage with TGA for ''59 Sound' - there's footage of it out there somewhere...

• StefBStefB Frets: 2457
    IanSavage said:

Haven't quite got around to their latest one, but I still rate this cameo as pretty uplifting, gutsy stuff.

I come back to that periodically, you can see Brian's on the verge of tears and obviously in the midst of a 'dream come true' moment; wouldn't we all love to be called onstage by The Boss?

There's the reciprocal thing at the same festival which is also lovely, Springsteen onstage with TGA for ''59 Sound' - there's footage of it out there somewhere...

But have you seen Fallon's comments in the wake of the whole Springsteen copyist saga?  I can't remember where I read it now but he blogged/posted something when he got home that night, ready to pack the whole thing in because he felt they couldn't shake the Springsteen tag off and weren't being taken seriously in their own right.

Glad he changed his mind though (it took a while apparently) because they came back with Handwritten, which is my favourite album of theirs to date, and possibly one of my all time faves come to think of it.

• It's Brian's face at 3:58 that makes it for me - when he realises they're all doing a long "dreams in my heeeeeeeeead" and he's not! 

It's those kind of moments that make a GA show so good :D
  • StefB said:

But have you seen Fallon's comments in the wake of the whole Springsteen copyist saga?  I can't remember where I read it now but he blogged/posted something when he got home that night, ready to pack the whole thing in because he felt they couldn't shake the Springsteen tag off and weren't being taken seriously in their own right.

Totally unfair; Springsteen uses more chords :p
  • My introduction to The Gaslight Anthem was unfortunately hearing 45 on the radio every day. I couldn't understand from that song why people even rated them. :( 

Get Hurt sounds better. It makes me almost able to forget 45.
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3967
    My introduction to The Gaslight Anthem was unfortunately hearing 45 on the radio every day. I couldn't understand from that song why people even rated them. :( 

Get Hurt sounds better. It makes me almost able to forget 45.
    Mine was seeing them at Hyde Park. They weren't my cup of tea. Having said that I will check this out.
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    I bloody love the first album. The next couple didn't grab me in the same way, felt like "more of the same" rather than a progression - not to say I didn't enjoy them, but the first album is still my go-to. Haven't checked out the new one yet though, i'll get on it!
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    I did. It's ace! Glad i spotted this thread!