Why do some guitars feel more dynamic than others?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• cybernautcybernaut Frets: 15
    edited October 2022
    The question in the OP is malformed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • benecolbenecol Frets: 405
    roberty said:

I have an oldish Standard which is full and fat feeling/sounding. Quite a contrast despite being the same size and shape

I traded SG Classics with (I think) @benecol, a few years ago. The one he gave me was objectively better than the one I gave him. It was definitely in the wood because both were set up well. We swapped back because it really wasn't a fair trade, and I'm not a prick 
    Firstly, agreed, and it was very weird.

Secondly, I still think of you swapping back as a benchmark in guitar-trading-kindness, and it's something I've endeavoured to pay forward several times since.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5687
    cybernaut said:
    In what way?
  • ColsCols Frets: 7702
    Is this because your “It’s time to have an argument on the forum” thread got closed?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5687
    @Cols I think you've got your timelines muddled. Possibly a side-effect of spending too much time in the Covid section ;)
  • cybernautcybernaut Frets: 15
    edited October 2022
    Snags said:
    cybernaut said:
    In what way?

It conflates two different senses: touch and hearing.

Further, it doesn't differentiate between acoustic and electric guitars, which produce sound in totally different ways.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 10067
    rlw said:
    It’s entirely down to species of animal used to make the hide glue used for the neck joint. 

For instance the Dutch Toggenburg goat will produce glue that adds 1.32dB in the 834kHz range whereas American Brown Swiss cow glue reduces your haunting mids by 0.3dB and adds more top end sparkle.

Bollocks
    Don’t you mean bullocks - their hide glue gives better defined lows.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8563

cybernaut said:
    Snags said:
    cybernaut said:
    In what way?

It conflates two different senses: touch and hearing.

Further, it doesn't differentiate between acoustic and electric guitars, which produce sound in totally different ways.
    An experience is often formed from the combination of many senses. Something can "feel" loud or bright. The experience of playing a guitar by its nature is a the combination of how it sounds, and how it feels.

And it's not in the acoustic section, so I think it does differentiate enough that you need not worry.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7702
    Snags said:
    @Cols I think you've got your timelines muddled. Possibly a side-effect of spending too much time in the Covid section ;)
    Haven’t been in there for yonks.  The lunatics have taken over the asylum, and are busy grappling with other problems.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/long-covid-symptoms-treatment-b2200070.html
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8563
    benecol said:
    roberty said:

I have an oldish Standard which is full and fat feeling/sounding. Quite a contrast despite being the same size and shape

I traded SG Classics with (I think) @benecol, a few years ago. The one he gave me was objectively better than the one I gave him. It was definitely in the wood because both were set up well. We swapped back because it really wasn't a fair trade, and I'm not a prick 
    Firstly, agreed, and it was very weird.

Secondly, I still think of you swapping back as a benchmark in guitar-trading-kindness, and it's something I've endeavoured to pay forward several times since.
    Well honestly after feeling pretty grumpy about this thread yesterday, just reading this story has made me happy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2482
    Never really noticed any of my guitars being “dynamically” different. 
    They all have different outputs and sound a bit different, but that’s about it. 

Just one of my guitars will feel and sound different day to day, so with eyewitness testimony being the least reliable form of evidence and with the introduction of biases I’m not sure I could reliably tell if one of them reacted dynamically differently from another. The harder I pick, the louder they all get. 
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5316
    I absolutely get it…my Strat is just simply amazing….but my Thinline Telecaster just has that dynamic thing going on. Makes me smile every time I pick it up….