Tele wiring - neck HB and stacked single/HB in the bridge ?

Hi Folks 

i am nearing the end of one of my Tele builds which will have a neck humbucker (PRS Dragon) and an Irongear Steel Twin II in the bridge 

any info on wiring options so that the single coil bridge wont be too shrill with 500k pots ?  

Cheers 
pete 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74493
    PeteC said:

any info on wiring options so that the single coil bridge wont be too shrill with 500k pots ?
    Given that the untapped bridge pickup is about 16K, a 500K pot will be fine anyway.

What you could then do if you're planning to split the pickup is add a 470K resistor which is engaged along with the coil tap, to simulate a 250K pot.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• PeteCPeteC Frets: 500
    That sounds ideal. I will have a search for suitable wiring diagrams 
    Thanks @ICBM ;
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 834
    I have a Mighty Mite Motherbucker in the neck, and a Duncan Lil 59 in the bridge of my walnut bodied, tele shaped monstrosity.
    Somehow I managed to get it wired with a push pull on the volume so that it splits both coils, so it gets some interesting sounds.
    Motherbucker is something like 16k, so the neck is very 'warm' sounding, but it splits very nicely, and the middle position is very LP like.
    If I could do it, anybody can, my soldering skills in a tele are adequate at best.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2462
    edited October 2022
    Just to point out, the Steel Twin II is a tapped single coil, not a noiseless/stacked one. It's a genuine single coil at both outputs. I suspect @ICBM is right- the higher setting will likely be just fine with a 500k pot. I haven't tried the Steel Twin II, but I've tried the Smokestack II Strat version, and that was certainly the case with it, and in fact Irongear itself suggests using 500k pots. Admittedly the lower output setting was a bit bright with 500k pots.

For the lower output setting the handiest thing is rolling down the tone knob slightly (that's what I did with mine, it worked well, that was before I was aware of fancier wiring options!)... or you can do what @ICBM suggested with a resistor... or I guess another option might be 250k pots with a no-load tone pot (and again roll the tone down slightly so the tone pot is engaged for the lower output setting).
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3222
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• PeteCPeteC Frets: 500
    Great - thanks fellas - just what I needed