Crack below nut on LP shape - importance ?

What's Hot

I was getting my LP shape ready for selling on; not been played for a good while, when I noticed this crack on the high E side just below the nut.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rn90ym6bz6e90sa/DSC00994.JPG?dl=0

Not as much in the Low E side, but a similar crack seeming to start as well (sorry focus is a bit out up close)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/080qhiulnfdd9q9/DSC00978.JPG?dl=0

Cracks are between nut and 1 st fret

Suggestions for how important etc, and typical cost of fixing

Thanks, hope pics work (I think I’ve edited the link string in the hyperlink, although the texts above)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74489
    That's had a knock. The fingerboard has come away at the glue joint, or possibly the neck wood just below it has cracked depending on whether the nut slot is the depth of the fingerboard or slightly deeper.

Any buyer seeing that would be rightly concerned - it's not going to fall apart and probably won't even get any worse by itself, but you will need to disclose it and almost certainly discount the price, if you don't want to have it fixed first.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15269
    What ICBM said.

Selling as is will raise disappointingly little money.

Rectifying the issue to a high/professional standard could easily cost more than the purchase price of the guitar.

It might be possible to run dilute adhesive into the cracks and clamp it up while things bond. Any mess on the finish could be disguised to some extent by matting the the rear of the neck.

Lots of work for limited reward. :frown: 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2988
    Thnaks all, that’s exactly what I was thinking , appreciate the asvice
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom