Hearing 7th chords

What's Hot
Batman-GMTBatman-GMT Frets: 22
edited October 2022 in Theory
Brushing up on my ear training lately , 

major / minor/ diminished / augmented triads and dom7 chords I get right nearly every time but I’m struggling terribly recognising just with major 7 and minor 7 …. I assume each containing the opposite triad within them is why I’m finding it so hard 

anyone else have the same issue ? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• wizbit81wizbit81 Frets: 445
    Listen for the pull of the Maj7 to the root, it's this 'nearly there but not quite' sound. m7 just sounds cool and at rest, very chill. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Maybe familiarise yourself with them one at a time instead of both at once
  • vizviz Frets: 10708
    If you can hear dom7 chords, then in 99% of the remaining cases a maj7 chord will have a major 3 in it, and a min7 chord will have a minor 3 in it. 

And it’s the 3 that tells you whether the chord is major or minor, nothing else. 

(There is also the rare James Bond minmaj7 chord with a minor 3 and a major 7 but forget about that.)

So what you’re struggling with is either to hear a 7th note in there at all, or to hear whether the chord is major or minor.

do you know which it is?
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Brushing up on my ear training lately , 

Is there an app or website you’re using? It’s something that I should be doing so I’m interested to see what’s out there 
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 754
    The best word to describe 7th chords, whether minor or major, is change. I know that sounds a bit weird but give it a go!
  • Batman-GMTBatman-GMT Frets: 22
    edited October 2022
    Brushing up on my ear training lately , 

Is there an app or website you’re using? It’s something that I should be doing so I’m interested to see what’s out there 

Earpeggio - it’s free and pretty good 

I think part of the issue though is the sounds on Earpeggio are like they are played on a  £5 keyboard … if they were played on a real guitar I think I would be better at it 
  • viz said:
    If you can hear dom7 chords, then in 99% of the remaining cases a maj7 chord will have a major 3 in it, and a min7 chord will have a minor 3 in it. 

And it’s the 3 that tells you whether the chord is major or minor, nothing else. 

(There is also the rare James Bond minmaj7 chord with a minor 3 and a major 7 but forget about that.)

So what you’re struggling with is either to hear a 7th note in there at all, or to hear whether the chord is major or minor.

do you know which it is?
    I can hear the 7th as I can hear the difference between 7th chords and their equivalent triads consistently . 
  • vizviz Frets: 10708
    edited October 2022
    So if it’s a minor chord, it’ll be a minor 7th. 

If it’s a major chord, it’ll be a major 7th, unless it’s a dom7 which you can hear already. 

Don’t think about the internal triad stuff, it’s completely unnecessary and I’ve never heard of it as a method or therefore a potential source of confusion. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6711
    Turn the gain up as high as it will go. Then it won't matter.  =)  ;)
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8733

I think part of the issue though is the sounds on Earpeggio are like they are played on a  £5 keyboard … if they were played on a real guitar I think I would be better at it 
    Have you tried playing the chords on a guitar instead of using the app?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10441
    I was discussing chord quality with a 15 year old student, explaining the maj7 has a lovely wistful sound, used for a kinda melancholy feel in a song. What band is he in says the student ? :)
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BradBrad Frets: 662
    You really need to be singing this stuff. 

Sing the notes of the chords up and down, with the guitar and without. 

Play each chord, try and sing each chord tone. 
    Do this against a root note too. 

Thank me later :wink: 
  • I found it useful to think of particular sounds on songs.  Eg for me the Major 7th was the "My Love" chord, because that was the first song I learned that started with a Maj 7 chord.  Min 7 was the "Once there was a way chord" because it's the first chord on Golden Slumbers.  Dom 7 from James Brown's "Out of Sight".  None of these choices were consciously made, I heard the chord and thought "that sounds like the chord from "song" and that developed into my test for that chord.  I'm not suggesting the same songs for other people, use what's familiar to you. Obviously the idea is that this is an intermediate step and eventually you throw away the crutch of the song and just recognise the sound, but I found it helpful.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”