Steve Stevens…Billy Idol

What's Hot
welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1831
edited October 2022 in Music
Just seen him with Billy Idol in Cardiff- what a player, what a sound. OK, Billy himself has lost his voice a bit (he’s 67 so fair play) but still got it really - in command of the audience and the stage - the whole band were on fire.

SS was spellbinding though, nylon acoustic, electric (a bit of a Knaggfest) whatever he touched tonight was pure class - unbelievable actually and I’d go far as saying surpassed Lukather for me (and those who know me will know that’s a big statement!!)

Toyah supported and it was nice to see her and the kids on stage(!!)she was great actually.

Killing joke though…fuck me…probably the best description is to drop the word Killing from their name - probably the worst dirgy muffled sounding shite I’ve heard in a long time - massive disappointment..
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Switch625Switch625 Frets: 594
    I remember watching Billy Idol on VH1’s Storytellers back in the day and being really impressed by Steve Stevens, particularly the acoustic renditions of Rebel Yell and White Wedding. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10634
    SS is great, writes such great guitar parts. 
    I teach the intro to Rebel Yell to my students as a guitar part that forces you to do 2 parts at once, they are always quite taken with it. 
    Billy's songs stand up much better than a lot of the stuff from that period of time in LA, some are very well written. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • rprrpr Frets: 310
    Not much of a fan, but quite enjoyed this last year 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16463
    As per the previous recent Discussion about Billy his ticket sales have been poor. I’ve been offered a staff ticket to see him in Brum but £17 for parking. I was tempted by Killing Joke more but the above review isn’t firing me up with enthusiasm. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5523
    Steve's a killer player and probably super underrated in the grand scheme of rock guitar history. I saw him do a "solo" show in London a few years ago (by "solo" I mean it was his name on the band, no Billy Idol)... he played everything from Rebel Yell to the Top Gun Anthem...

By all accounts he's a pretty chill dude too, ego-free... (like Luke in that sense!)
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
    Steve is a great player. I was always put off by the 'Big hair' look that all those guitarists went for back in the day, but I have a podcast interview somewhere and he comes across as a really decent guy. He plays one of my all time fave solos on Billy's Man for all Seasons. It's superb!
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1831
    edited October 2022
    As per the previous recent Discussion about Billy his ticket sales have been poor. I’ve been offered a staff ticket to see him in Brum but £17 for parking. I was tempted by Killing Joke more but the above review isn’t firing me up with enthusiasm. 
    I wouldn't go to just catch KJ...they were crap IMO, didn't even play Love Like Blood ( I think!! and I lost interest - it really was that bad, its the sound they had as a band....not the poor soundman - who was also struggling with them...just waves of over flanged feedback and grunts over the top of it)

I have always been a massive SS fan - another one of my influences really, played the early Idol albums with him to death as teenager - seeing him last night has just propelled him right up there for me
  • Steve stevens is freakin ace & Billys cool  awesome band 
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    I thought Billy idol just had a couple of hits back in the 80s.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
    edited October 2022
    My sister bought his King Rocker single, late 70s!

Edit: my bad, he was with Generation X then! Quite a fun record!

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19543
    Whitecat said:
    Steve's a killer player and probably super underrated in the grand scheme of rock guitar history. I saw him do a "solo" show in London a few years ago (by "solo" I mean it was his name on the band, no Billy Idol)... he played everything from Rebel Yell to the Top Gun Anthem...

By all accounts he's a pretty chill dude too, ego-free... (like Luke in that sense!)
    Someone else thinks quite highly of him too  :)
    https://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/pickup/humbucker/rebel-yell
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5523
    Whitecat said:

Someone else thinks quite highly of him too  :)
    https://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/pickup/humbucker/rebel-yell
    BKP also winds a custom Steve Stevens pickup for his signature Knaggs... different from the Rebel Yell, apparently based off a Mule but tweaked. I wonder if BKP would secretly do it if you ordered it in hushed language like I think they do for the Johnny Marr Jag pickups...
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    axisus said:
    My sister bought his King Rocker single, late 70s!

Edit: my bad, he was with Generation X then! Quite a fun record!

I was born in '76 so my memory is a bit blurry  :)
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8221
    SS is a fabulous guitarist. But he does look like Elvis ate Diana Ross and had an adverse reaction...
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis