Levitation

What's Hot
GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3731
Anyone remember these guys?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
    Never heard of them.

Couldn't really engage with the song on one listen, I prefer videos with the band moving about if it's something I don't know.
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3731
    axisus said:
    Never heard of them.

Couldn't really engage with the song on one listen, I prefer videos with the band moving about if it's something I don't know.
    It's just an album upload. Sorry. 
  • Me. I loved them and think I own all their recorded material. I didn't get to see them until after Terry Bickers had left (at Clapham Grand, IIRC) and they were too sloppy and definitely too loud to pick anything out of the noise. But their records are fab. "Against Nature" is even more relevant today, of course. 
  • I had an indie 92 compilation tape which had World Around on it, so I've always liked that song, but not listen to much of their other material, need to change that. Only in the last few years did I make the link with Bickers and House of Love.... a really interesting guitarist.

For the benefit of @axisus here's a video with moving humans

• DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2567
    Saw them a couple of times early on, when both Bickers and Bic Hayes (Cardiacs, Dark Star) were in the band.  They were great live, giving their shows a bit of prog pomp/energy at a time when shoegaze was the thing.  I don't think they ever managed to nail it fully on record, but for a brief period, yeah, they were awesome.  Especially fond memories of a jaw-dropping headline gig at The Junction in Cambridge, circa the Smile/Nadine EP release.
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Saw them a couple of times early on, when both Bickers and Bic Hayes (Cardiacs, Dark Star) were in the band.  They were great live, giving their shows a bit of prog pomp/energy at a time when shoegaze was the thing.  I don't think they ever managed to nail it fully on record, but for a brief period, yeah, they were awesome.  Especially fond memories of a jaw-dropping headline gig at The Junction in Cambridge, circa the Smile/Nadine EP release.
    I miss those days. I never caught Levitation, but lots of other bands around that time. Really liked Dr Phibes, but of course they met a tragic end. Swervedriver, all that stuff. 

Presently reading Miki Berenyi 's autobiography. Harrowing in places, but giving me a massive rush of nostalgia. Glad to see she pulled through and seems sorted. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29220
    Levitation were ace. Worth finding a copy of Meanwhile Gardens if you can - their last album with Bickers, and it has his (much better) version if Even When Your Eyes Are Open. And King Of Mice, which is superb.

If you like Levitation then Dark Star are worth a go. Three of Levitation doing the same thing with a bit less widdle. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Been listening to the remastered Meanwhile Gardens.... it's bloody great. Also Dark Star.... superb. A few Cardiacs connections too. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    edited October 2022
    I had the Copelia EP when it came out and played it loads. 

Never saw them live, and I'm not sure why my interest faded...I was into lots of things back then, but then there was lots of stuff to be into, so I guess a band had to be consistent to grab the attention. And as above posts show, Levitation were fundamentally inconsistent, I think, in terms of band dynamics. 

A shame, because Bickers was/ is a really engaging player and musician generally. 

A year or so ago I got those three early EPs on CD single off Ebay. Copelia is still great and very evocative of a certain time and place. It's still very raw and edgy. Perhaps the others less so. 

There was a very good Guitarist magazine interview with Bickers around at that time as well. If any ever produced a PDF Id like to re-read it. 

Redlester said:
    I had the Copelia EP when it came out and played it loads. 

Never saw them live, and I'm not sure why my interest faded...I was into lots of things back then, but then there was lots of stuff to be into, so I guess a band had to be consistent to grab the attention. And as above posts show, Levitation were fundamentally inconsistent, I think, in terms of band dynamics. 

A shame, because Bickers was/ is a really engaging player and musician generally. 

A year or so ago I got those three early EPs on CD single off Ebay. Copelia is still great and very evocative of a certain time and place. It's still very raw and edgy. Perhaps the others less so. 

There was a very good Guitarist magazine interview with Bickers around at that time as well. If any ever produced a PDF Id like to re-read it. 

https://www.levitationarchive.co.uk/interviews-guitarist-01.html

• RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    @Greatape Good lad! Cheers. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29220
    Been listening to the remastered Meanwhile Gardens.... it's bloody great. Also Dark Star.... superb. A few Cardiacs connections too. 
    I realised after posting that I was thinking if the remastered version - the Australia release had the Some Have Fins singer. Doh.

"[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."