Capacitor sets

What's Hot
andyg_prsandyg_prs Frets: 67
edited October 2022 in Making & Modding
Hi,

I just got a set 10pf to 100nf - but they are absolutely tiny with short legs. I missed the small print that said “mini” 

I'm just looking for standard ones with 2cm legs or whatever is normal. 

Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Andy
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20597
    I have no experience of this brand of ceramic capacitors, but they appear to be nearer to what you want.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Values-Ceramic-Capacitors-Assortment-1pf-100nf/dp/B01N7TFIEA
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74493
    I have no experience of this brand of ceramic capacitors, but they appear to be nearer to what you want.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Values-Ceramic-Capacitors-Assortment-1pf-100nf/dp/B01N7TFIEA
    That's a lot more than you need but will do the job.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20597
    ICBM said:
    That's a lot more than you need but will do the job.
    True, it is how things are today. You can buy 1000 of an item for the same price as 10 or fewer. Mad, but I'd get the larger quantity & have a few spares while giving the others away for free. Sort of offsets the bad consumerist karma thing a bit  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Much better, thanks guys!

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3121
    What do you want them for? Do you want ceramic?

R.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10932
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • What do you want them for? Do you want ceramic?

R.
    Sorry for the delay, I missed this.  To be honest, I go through short intense phases of mucking around with guitar electronics....so it could be treble bleed circuits, installing tone controls with different value pots, and just recently it was effectively retaining low end whilst partially shunting one coil of a humbucker to ground.

I know too little about electronics but did read an article at some point about the type of capacitor making little difference when it comes to guitar electronics.

That said, I am kind of conditioned to seeing thing like this on treble bleeds

and smaller versions of the same....e.g. orange, round, shiny (technical huh?)

and then I have some of these blue ones but very limited values....

and then there are the plainer, brown dull ones......from the links in other replies.

Clearly the aesthetics don't really matter, although the shiny ones are pleasing (sorry)....but yeah, I really don't know if anything in the context of the currents present within a guitar really matter?

I do test them with a multimeter to confirm they are reasonably close to the stated value...

Cheers,
    Andy
    andyg_prs said:

I know too little about electronics but did read an article at some point about the type of capacitor making little difference when it comes to guitar electronics.
    It makes precisely *no* difference in a guitar circuit. (Although it can in amps.) Only the value matters, and even that almost not as long as they’re within tolerance.

FWIW PRS uses ceramic caps, as did both Fender and Gibson in the 1960s.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    One thing to consider on a practical level is how sturdy the legs are. The legs on those tiny ceramic discs can break quite easily
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    roberty said:
    One thing to consider on a practical level is how sturdy the legs are. The legs on those tiny ceramic discs can break quite easily
    Not really - they bend rather than breaking. You'd have to flex them back and forth a huge amount before there's much chance of breaking them. I know a lot of people love the 'orange drops' because of the big thick legs, but really it's just overkill and can sometimes actually make it harder to work with them. I can't remember when I've ever broken a cap lead in a guitar, no matter how apparently flimsy.

@ICBM I've broken the little ceramic disc legs before
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 500
    Theres so
    much mis-info about tone caps. I defy anyone to tell the difference between different tone cap materials at gigging  volume.   

Noone ever said “the solo would have sounded  better if that lead player had some russian PIO caps instead of that cheap ceramic crap. “

People also seem to think a physically bigger cap (usually Pio or film) is going to sound better than a small one (usually ceramic).  Its pants.   

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • PeteC said:
    Theres so
    much mis-info about tone caps. I defy anyone to tell the difference between different tone cap materials at gigging  volume.   

Noone ever said “the solo would have sounded  better if that lead player had some russian PIO caps instead of that cheap ceramic crap. “

People also seem to think a physically bigger cap (usually Pio or film) is going to sound better than a small one (usually ceramic).  Its pants.   

Cool.  The only reason I didn't like the original set I got was that the legs were so short, and the capacitors were so tiny, they were super difficult to work with.
    PeteC said:
    Theres so
    I defy anyone to tell the difference at *any* volume, in any properly conducted test whatsoever. There simply isn’t any - nor any physical mechanism why one could exist, at the voltages in a guitar circuit. Not to mention that a lot of the people who claim to hear a difference say they can when the pot is up full… where the cap is almost out of the circuit, to the point where even drastic differences in value are barely audible.

Caps *do* make a difference in amps, in some (but not all) circuit positions, for the simple reason that the voltages applied are much higher, into the range where the self-distortion characteristics of different types and even different brands become audible - and the signal is being passed *through* the cap. That doesn’t mean they make a difference when they’re being used to simply roll off high frequencies to ground in a passive guitar circuit with at most a volt or so on them - it’s a classic audiophile mistake to assume that one thing proves the other.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Yep
    Not sure what happened there - i did write a much longer response but tbh @ICBM said it all anyway