Carol Kaye: The Complete 1983 "Guitar Player" Interview (Audio)

JasOJasO Frets: 97

Brian Wilson calls her "the greatest bass player in the world." Berklee College of Music has named her “the most recorded bassist of all time, with 10,000 sessions spanning four decades.”  

As a member of the elite L.A.-based group of studio musicians nicknamed the "Wrecking Crew," Carol Kaye played guitar and bass on hundreds of hit records during the 1960s and '70s. While working on my 1983 "Women in Rock" cover story for Guitar Player, I did an in-depth interview with Carol, since she was the first female musician to make her mark in the early days of rock and roll. During our wide-ranging conversation, Carol recounted her first professional musical experiences and how she broke into studio work. She described her extensive session work with Phil Spector and what it was like being the only first-call female studio guitarist and bassist in Los Angeles during the 1960s. In other highlights, she discussed her bass and amps, her work with the Beach Boys and other chart-topping artists, her sessions for film and TV scores, and her support for contemporary women rockers. 

I have just created a podcast of this interview, which you can hear for free at Talking Guitar. Here's the link: 

https://jasobrecht.substack.com/p/carol-kaye-interview-with-a-session#details

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Finally got round to listening to this. Very aware of her history but absolutely fascinating to hear it in her own words. Many thanks for posting.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom