Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Who makes the best P90's?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23575

Just out of interest, has anyone found a hum-cancelling "P-90" which actually sounds like a real P-90?

I've tried some of the DiMarzio models, which are fine but really they're conventional humbuckers in soapbar covers.  And the Gibson P-100 which just sounds thin and weedy.

I'm curious about the Kinman, Fralin and Lace models.  Apparently the Fralins sound good but maybe a bit polite.  I think some smaller boutique manufacturers also make hum-cancelling soapbars, but I can't remember who.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7032
    I'm interested in hum cancelling P90's as well. I'm tempted by the kinmans but would need to route my guitar to accommodate the deeper pickup body. Any experiences of other options?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11104
    tFB Trader
    Dave_Mc said:
    2. Look for alnico 4 if you have a 'toppy' guitar, or even alnico 3 for it's more compressed, jazzy feel.

What if you have a warmer guitar? Alnico 5? (Alongside a not too hot output, I'm guessing, so the pickups don't darken up again?)
    Quite right.
    Philly_Q said:

Just out of interest, has anyone found a hum-cancelling "P-90" which actually sounds like a real P-90?

I've tried some of the DiMarzio models, which are fine but really they're conventional humbuckers in soapbar covers.  And the Gibson P-100 which just sounds thin and weedy.

I'm curious about the Kinman, Fralin and Lace models.  Apparently the Fralins sound good but maybe a bit polite.  I think some smaller boutique manufacturers also make hum-cancelling soapbars, but I can't remember who.

Not in my experience ... learn to love the hum :-)

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2390
    ^ Thanks :)
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23575

I have learned to love the hum, pretty much - and I'm never likely to be in a gigging situation, or any situation where it matters anyway.

I used to be slightly obsessed with hum-cancelling "single-coils", for Strats and Teles in the days before I got more into P-90 guitars, but I have eventually been convinced by the argument that real single-coils sound better.  I've still got a set of Kinmans in a "modern" Tele which they seem to suit quite well, and I've got some DiMarzios I might put in a Strat with a Clapton mid-boost one day.

But you do read interviews with people saying they've found single-coil hum a genuine problem (maybe it's more of an issue in the USA due to something about their electrical systems?), so I asked out of curiosity more than an intention to actually replace any of my P-90s.

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11104
    tFB Trader
    See my thread here ...
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    If you stuck P90s at Clarky going mental levels of gain and compression then they can be a bit of an issue, but less than early Sabbath levels of gain it's not an issue.