Damn partners!

What's Hot
Had to turn down an opportunity today... the place was a bit remote and expensive, but the role was interesting. Would mean partner having to give up her job. May well have taken it if on my own, bah humbug. I guess relationship = compromise. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I had to do something similar about ten years ago - turned down a job in the US (paying a ludicrous sum of money) because the wife didn't want to leave her mother (we thought she wasn't going to see more than another couple of years...the old dragon's still here, though).
    <space for hire>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4468
    edited September 2014
    Gutted for you! I previously ditched opportunities in Munich, Austria & Boston, also! 
    Where in the U.S. was it (and what do you do)? Engineers used to get paid a bomb there but not so much now. Even in Silicon Valley if you're on $120-150k you're doing ok but the living costs - ouch!
  • It was £60k in Ohio, paid in Sterling (UK company) so the exchange rate would've done me all sorts of favours.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Nice! You never said what you did, so I'll assume Gigolo ;D
    Lol... I don't know what Ohio's like. 
    Anyway... gutted still!! :(
  • Nice! You never said what you did, so I'll assume Gigolo ;D
    Lol... I don't know what Ohio's like. 
    Anyway... gutted still!! :(
    Programmer, mainly, although back then the job I was going for was stats analysis and data churning. Ohio was....well, let's put it this way - at the time, the living costs were low and the property prices were even lower. We could've bought a house, lived comfortably and paid off the mortgage within two or three years.

C'est la vie.
    <space for hire>
  • On the plus side Lee, your CV now has "modmin of the world's bestest guitar forum" on it. That has to be worth something, non? :D
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • If it makes you feel any better, I earn shit money and live on my own. :)
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Programmer - cool! I'm more the hardware type! :) 

There's always somebody worse off.. and somebody better off, and the grass is always greener etc!

• At least I am free to do as I please though eh!

HA HA HA HA HAAAAAA......HA HA HA HA HA HA HAAAA.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Just notified company in question.
    GUTTED - lots of good training, could go offshore infrequently, develop some interesting electronics. Bugger!!!!
  • dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522

Wow that's love! I'd have been off like a shot :D

Nevermind dude, I'm sure there's plenty more opportunities around the corner

All practice and no theory
  • NPPNPP Frets: 237
    six years ago I applied for a job in the UK, not seeing much of a perspective in my native Germany. Unexpectedly I got the job, and my wife agreed I couldn't let the opportunity pass. We also agreed that she couldn't give up her job in Germany. Since then, we are commuting between countries most weekends. It is possible because we had been used to commuting within Germany already and because we have no children, but it gets tedious, tiring and more and more expensive and we will have to eventually make a decision to settle in one of the two countries (or move to a third one together, though there are no specific plans for that ...).

• Sambostar;354227" said:
    At least I am free to do as I please though eh!HA HA HA HA HAAAAAA......HA HA HA HA HA HA HAAAA.
    I guess that means rubbing one out Hollyoakes whilst eating a chicken and mushroom pot noodle again then eh?