Accents

What's Hot
Why do Mick Jagger, and Rod Stewart, sing like they were born and bred in Nashville?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GoFishGoFish Frets: 1593
    I guess they love that country honk?

Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14821
    GoFish said:
    I guess they love that country honk
    I see what you did there.

DaveJames said:
    Why do Mick Jagger and Rod Stewart sing like they were born and bred in Nashville?
    I don't think that they do.

Like many of his generation, Jagger spent his formative years listening to American Blues records, trying to suss out the lyrics and studying the cross harp stylings of Sonny Boy Williamson and Little Walter. 

If/when Jagger attempts Nashville vocal mannerisms, it tends to be on Country pastiche songs such as Dead Flowers or Far Away Eyes 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16439
    They don't. Not really. 

Singing tends to neutralize accents plus these are artists with American influences so they tend to sound mid Atlantic. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73140
    Rod Stewart definitely doesn’t sing with any kind of American accent - he sounds like what he is, a half-Scottish Londoner.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7846
    edited November 2022
    The singing accent is what many people used to refer to as a "Mid-Atlantic" one.  It's only been in more recent decades (excluding George Formby and traditional folk music of course) that singers have been able to become popular singing pop songs in their native accents or in some kind of UK regional accent.  In fact, there are a lot of UK singers that now sing in what I would think of as a contrived "Mid-UK" accent while trying to sing with a non-American accent.

The same could have been said about Abba.  They are Swedish (Anni-Frid born in Norway).  You can sometimes hear a slight roundness from their native accents, but in general they sung in an American-type accent, because that is what was fashionable and expected of pop groups from anywhere.  Status Quo kept some of their English inflections in their songs, but most of the singing was "mid-atlantic" accented.  Three Quarters of AC-DC were born in Scotland and still had/have a slight Scottish twang while speaking, but they didn't sing like the Proclaimers or Kevin Bloody Wilson because that wouldn't have suited their style of music, nor would it have been popular.

Of all places least likely to have a very distinct regional accent, Nashville is likely to be one of them due to the influx of people from all around the world seeking stardom there.

Would you rather that Mick Jagger and Keith Richards had sung in London accents?

I met a gin-soaked, bar-room queen in Peckham
    She tried to take me upstairs for a ride

I laid a divorcée in Clapham Common
    I had to put up some kind of a fight
  • ICBM said:
    Rod Stewart definitely doesn’t sing with any kind of American accent - he sounds like what he is, a half-Scottish Londoner.
    He sounds like a Sam Cooke fan to me.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• Mockney, innit?