Adjusting pickguard humbucker routing?

What's Hot
Hey all, apologies if a dumb or frequently-asked question, did a quick search and been struggling to find many opinions on this.

So, I've got a Fender Play Strat HSS and I'm looking to upgrade the humbucker. The pickguard I've got is routed for an uncovered humbucker and ideally I'd like to replace it with a covered humbucker, which is of course a more squared-off shape. So I'm wondering whether my local tech should be able to take out a bit of extra plastic from the corners on my existing pickguard to accommodate, or whether I'm going to have to get a completely new one. I know it sounds trivial, but I really like the tortoiseshell colouring on my current pickguard and am worried that I won't like the replacement as much if I go down that route. First world problems eh?

Of course, the other option is that I just get an uncovered pickup, but I thought I'd just see if anyone had been down this road before just in case.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 17499
    It should only take a few swipes with an appropriately sized file to open then up
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3221
    WezV said:
    It should only take a few swipes with an appropriately sized file to open then up
    This, its pretty easy to square the corners with a file
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• AlunAlun Frets: 173
    Ah good to know, thanks both.
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 9016
    Use a fairly fine file and use downstrokes from the upper side, or else you can get chip-outs.  Alternatively, sandpaper wrapped around a piece of wood with the sharp corners rounded over will work.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15269
    Finish the cut-out corners with a narrow round file. The result will more closely resemble cutting by a rotary bit. 90° corners are a dead giveaway of an amateur filing job.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom