Simple Minds Live in Berlin

What's Hot
stufisherstufisher Frets: 889
Just watching this now on SKY Arts ... just started and I'm in :+1: 

Berlin Live: Simple Minds2011MusicSummaryA 2011 performance by the band at Schwuz nightclub in the German capital, featuring hits including Don't You (Forget About Me) and Alive and Kicking
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 7846
    Whoops.  I came here ready to tick you off for making broad sweeping disparaging remarks about Germans, but I stand corrected.

I never really liked Simple Minds when they were at their peak, but there's something about those two particular songs that encapsulates a very specific period of the younger me not long after I was married and when things were really fun.  Those songs were played a lot of places we went together and with friends.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2458
    BillDL said:

I never really liked Simple Minds when they were at their peak, but there's something about those two particular songs that encapsulates a very specific period of the younger me.
    Same here.

I enjoyed their performance on Jools Holland a couple of episodes back and really liked Charlie's atmospheric, soaring guitar sounds live - like a great blend of Neal Schon, Steve Rothery & David Gilmour.

Jim Kerr looks like Les Dennis now though and although he never had the most dynamic voice, it holds up pretty well.

Thanks for the heads up @stufisher, I'll give it a watch for sure.
  • euaneuan Frets: 1664
    I watched the Jools performance too, I’ve not seen the crew so into a band playing as they did at the end.

probably one of the best Jools Hollands in a long time
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6618
    edited November 2022
    I have a soft spot for the Minds, with them being the first band I saw live.

Loved them back in the day, especially the Once Upon a Time and Sparkle In The Rain albums.
    They lost their way in the 90’s, IMO, but their more recent-ish albums have found them getting back into their stride.

The recent albums aren’t classics, but there’s something to enjoy in each.

I’m surprised the (earlier and less anthemic/ stadium rock) albums like Empires and Dance and Sons and Fascination don’t get the kudos they are due.