Sunn O))) and EarthQuaker Devices Life Pedal V3

What's Hot
DoveholesDoveholes Frets: 143
Newly released today - the Sunn O))) and EarthQuaker Devices Life Pedal V3.
I previously owned a V2 and, aside from all the doom metal trappings, found it to be a really useful unit - killer sounding rat, independent mosfet boost and now a standalone octave footswitch too, which can be latching or momentary.

Not cheap at £359, but I'm contemplating kicking both a fuzz and a boost off my board and picking one up.
0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DoveholesDoveholes Frets: 143
    edited November 2022
    There's also a white one available via Sunn's Bandcamp, limited to 350.

• DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    This launched at just the right time as was close to getting the DRV.

I’ve ordered the white one, now just depends on how lucky I am with customs.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • looks and sounds good!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Built a few of these and it’s a good pedal

green ringer into a Rat with some clipping options and a decent enough boost at the end. 

price isn’t that bad really for three effects in a box 

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I have Lokaj's clone of this and a great pedal, tempting for this but don't think I can justify the extra £250 compared to the clone to get the octave off switch. Probably pounce on the first 2nd hand one I see
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4702
    I've found hitting a tonebender hard with a massive controllable boost is the greatest sound on earth
  • I have Lokaj's clone of this and a great pedal, tempting for this but don't think I can justify the extra £250 compared to the clone to get the octave off switch. Probably pounce on the first 2nd hand one I see
    I would think you could mod yours to have the switch 

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• Interesting which boost and is it boost into tonebender ? I am on a tone bender build run at the moment, I have three on the go currently, different versions 

• robertyroberty Frets: 10924
    Fuzz Dog does a three switch version https://shop.pedalparts.co.uk/product/death

Great circuit but I wouldn't spend the kind of money they're asking 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I really want one, but not enough to buy one. 
  • stevrossthepipestevrossthepipe Frets: 146
    edited November 2022
    Hi @Doveholes ;;

Love my tentacle and I want a good rat so this makes sense and now later in life realising how powerful a boost can be. Loving my zio into my hoof. Looks fantastic as well!

The Earthquaker flexi soft switches are really good for a bit of momentary  octave. Really useful on my tentacle.

Ahh @DanR very nice in white but luckily  the black also looks killer. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegas said:
    I've found hitting a tonebender hard with a massive controllable boost is the greatest sound on earth
    Just for clarity, there is no tonebender element here and the boost is at the end of the signal path in this particular pedal.

From EQD...

The “Magnitude” section of Sunn O))) Life Pedal is a simple all-discrete MOSFET booster designed to blast your preamp tubes and drive them wild. It is a 100% clean, no-nonsense, high impedance booster that adds very little color to your tone. It does not add distortion on its own but has plenty of output to push your amp into saturation.

The signal path goes Octave > Distortion > Boost. The octave distortion and booster can be used independently with their own respective footswitches.

Unless you were just telling us you like a boosted tonebender? In which case - I agree!
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041

Just arrived and just four more hours of work left,

Unfortunately I’m then out for the evening working away from home tomorrow and not back till Sunday :(
  • Public dibs as I had no idea there was a white one until they were gone. Hope you love it and keep it forever though haha
  • Ha I was just about to write this lol! Luckily the black is also reallllly nice. 
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3441
    edited November 2022
    This pedal made me Google the band. I came across this. One of the comments talks about how someone fell asleep with their headphones on. This song was on their playlist. They woke up but had sleep paralysis and couldn't move. 

"The intense prolonged emotions I felt were indescribable and I couldn't escape for a while but mostly I got to experience this music at its fullest but god damn it is terrifying....maybe thats what hell feels like".

Blimey!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ewalewal Frets: 2748
    I was watching a few demos of this pedal over the weekend. Sounds great. The price and me reminding myself I've already got a couple of Rat like pedals and a mosfet boost is just about preventing me from splashing out. I think I might have a diy greenringer somewhere too, although without a blend...
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28413
    I already have at least 5x Rat-types and a fuzzdog version of the v2 of this and I’m still tempted. Stupid gas…
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ewalewal Frets: 2748
    It looks great - is that enough to justify £300 plus?  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom