Freebird 1977

What's Hot
StevepageStevepage Frets: 3101
Having had a few drinks tonight, I searched for this video and made me even happier. Every one together happy and jumping to an amazing song which is still loved 45 years later

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14855
    tFB Trader
    Not seen that clip before so thanks - More familiar with the version they use to show on OGWT, which I think was from Knebworth ? 
    edited November 2022 tFB Trader
    Interesting look at the basic pa, monitors and backline plus even drum hardware and one head tom toms etc - sign of the times

Plus so many 'good looking' young girls looking at greasy long haired rockers
    edited November 2022 tFB Trader
    They certainly knew how to milk an ending
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That was awesome - a real slice of the 70s there 
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3923
    What's that on the first fret of the slide guitar? Is it just to raise the action to make playing slide easier?
  • drofluf said:
    What's that on the first fret of the slide guitar? Is it just to raise the action to make playing slide easier?
    Rossington used to have a piece of wire of some sort to do that. I believe it's standard tuning except for the B replaced by another G string (ooh err missus, etc). 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3923
    Thanks @EricTheWeary ;
  • If you get a chance to see "The Classic Rock Show" (they're on tour very early next year) they always finish with this. Pete Thorn is with them on this and the past couple of tours.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13578
    edited November 2022
    the knebworth gig on the OGWT was my first exposure to Skynyrd........... hooked from that moment on 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
    It's one of the nailed on top classic rock songs ever, even now I get the hairs raising on the back of my neck when the solo kicks in, and bloody hell, what an amazing solo section it is!

The video was cool, such a massive audience! And yes, so many lovely girls! (I've always had a thing for the 70s look with the opposite sex, I was too young back then though).

I enjoyed the classic rock show vid as well. I'd like to see them, but Pete's haircut looks a bit too Simon Cowell for my likes!
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23762
    Now I'm remembering how all the Southern rock bands used to have their own signature extended-guitar-workout songs in the Free Bird vein...  The Outlaws with Green Grass and High Tides, Blackfoot with Highway Song, Molly Hatchet with Boogie No More (and others).  All good stuff.
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1660
    edited November 2022
    Yes. In the words of Andy Kershaw back in the day - those bl**dy three week long guitar solos

Hell of a video though. Hadn't realised before how many 'almost' moments there are in it, where you think they're rising to a point where they're about to break into the solo, but don't...until they actually finally let rip, take the foot off the brake and go for it.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
    Philly_Q said:
    Now I'm remembering how all the Southern rock bands used to have their own signature extended-guitar-workout songs in the Free Bird vein...  The Outlaws with Green Grass and High Tides, Blackfoot with Highway Song, Molly Hatchet with Boogie No More (and others).  All good stuff.
    Ahh yes, I love Boogie no more, also Flirtin' with disaster. Played those to death back in the day!
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23762
    edited November 2022
    axisus said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Ahh yes, I love Boogie no more, also Flirtin' with disaster. Played those to death back in the day!
    There are some good Molly Hatchet clips on YouTube.  And as a bonus you can watch them all getting fatter and fatter as the years pass, especially Dave Hlubek.  RIP.  RIP to the whole lot of them.

This is a great one.  Danny Joe Brown (RIP) in really good form.