Dave Vanian the Damned - still got it,

What's Hot
mrkbmrkb Frets: 7063
This popped up on my YouTube feed, I love the way Dave Vanian keeps an eye on the stage invading fan during the song and intervenes when he thinks security are getting too heavy handed. Makes the fans day and that’s what matters.

https://youtu.be/bXiBFW3Z228
Karma......
Ebay mark7777_1
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14822
    Vanian is more sensible than Captain Burns.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1445
    edited November 2022
    ... and that's how you deal with a stage invader with respect, dignity and humour for all concerned. 
    Frontman 101 course - lesson in session.

Some of these old punk's really do walk the talk - and gives credence to what they said about wanting to remove the divide between band and audience the 70s dinosaurs were so intent on maintaining.

I'm not sure why security pin the guy down for half the song? - but thank god it happened with Vanian on stage to handle it.
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23764
    edited November 2022
    Apparently they have a concert film out, A Night of a Thousand Vampires, and the premiere was on 27th October, two days before this gig, as part of FrightFest's Halloween event, with the band in attendance for a Q&A.

Thanks to FrightFest's shoddy publicity machine, I didn't know about it until I was at the actual FrightFest on the 29th.  Oh well.

Coming back to the YouTube clip, that kid is very intense...  Well handled by Mr Vanian.
  • Got a free ticket to see them in 2016, not knowing much about them at the time. One of the better gigs I have been to. Brilliant.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8161
    I’ve seen them close on 90 times over the years.  
    My favourite line up was the Grave Disorder lineup, Captain on guitar, Pinch on drums, Stu on bass, and Monty on keyboard. Super tight live band.  Stu and Pinch now gone unfortunately. 

Was great to see the original lineup again, I was at the Birmingham gig.  Vanian put a lot more effort into his stage performance than usual. I’ve seen him reading lyrics from sheets of paper before.  

Captain was great, Rat is a hell of a drummer, even now he still has power in his playing, and something unique in his style. 

Brian James didn’t look at all well. Just stood in the same spot barely moving all night.  His playing is not what it was. I doubt we’ll see this lineup again, as I don’t think Brian James has it in him to do another.  Hopefully, I’m wrong, and he’ll make a solid recovery. Nice to see him back in SG’s again, his tele sound was piercingly bright. 

Was a great gig all round. TV Smith were pretty good, I missed Tigers support band. Unfortunately, I did see Penetration. 

As nice as that was, looking forward to seeing the Captain back in guitar where he belongs, and Monty doing his thing. 

They must have struggled to sell tickets at £75 each, as I heard some people saying they got their tickets from a magazine for £19.76.  Despite that, gig was at full capacity.  

Really enjoyed it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • For a newbie / casual fan, any "must listen" album? Or even a compilation? The latest live album ain't bad.
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7218
    For a newbie / casual fan, any "must listen" album? Or even a compilation? The latest live album ain't bad.
    Machine Gun Etiquette 
    Guitar Bomb & Nembrini Audio Summer Giveaway 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • PjonPjon Frets: 313
    I saw them in a sweaty little local venue about 14 years ago and loved every minute of it. I know some of their stuff, but not much, and it stands out as being one of the more memorable gigs I've been to.
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3091
    I had a ticket for the Saturday at Hammersmith but couldn’t go as I wasn’t well.  Having seen the footage, I’m quite glad. 

I saw them a few years ago at the Brook in Southampton which is a tiny venue where all the members of the band could actually move around and that will do for me.  
    For a newbie / casual fan, any "must listen" album? Or even a compilation? The latest live album ain't bad.
    Machine Gun Etiquette 
    Strawberries
    The Black Album

these are the three best albums, they all have a very different atmosphere about them  
    Vanian first  the band to songs he had written when recording The Black Album, so it more of a gothic theme to it.  But Machine Gun will always be my favourite. 
  • vizviz Frets: 10780
    edited November 2022
    I’d swap Black for Phantasmagoria, just for maximum diversity. Maybe. Actually let’s have 4. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7063
    viz said:
    I’d swap Black for Phantasmagoria, just for maximum diversity. Maybe. Actually let’s have 4. 
    I saw them on the Phantasmagoria tour in 85 when I was 15 with some schoolmates and they blew my mind (only the second gig I’d been to) so it’s been a favourite album of mine.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    ^ me too, Oxford. Kicked off with Street of Dreams, it was awesome. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    viz said:
    It’s not a popular album, but I actually prefer ‘Anything’ to Phantasmagoria. 
    Lots of Sid Barrett references are homages hidden in there. 
    TheMarlin said:
    viz said:
    I need to give it another go then - I only liked psychowotsit and Alone Again Or when I was younger. 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19516
    viz said:
    TheMarlin said:
    viz said:
    I need to give it another go then - I only liked psychowotsit and Alone Again Or when I was younger. 
    "Eloise'  was one of my fave Damned covers  ;)