Telecaster Ferrules - to glue or not to glue?

What's Hot
I just got a new Harley Benton telecaster copy
The ferrules mostly fall out when restringing
should I glue them in, or hammer them, or use a hot soldering iron as some recommend?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7343
    tFB Trader
    Glue. A spot of high viscosity super glue on one side is my choice. Not enough to squeeze out but enough just to hold the ferrule in place.

Of course the strings hold them in so there's no real need to fix them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 9128
    … there's no real need to fix them.
    Except when you change a string at a gig, and a ferrule falls out and disappears into a dark recess. I’d go with glue, or better, use a bar instead of individual ferrules.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74489
    Don't glue. Wrap them with a turn of paper masking tape, cut just wide enough so you can crinkle it slightly over the inner end to stop it being pushed off as you press them into the body. It's fairly soft so it doesn't crack over time.

I've done dozens, possibly hundreds!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Roland said:
    Except when you change a string at a gig, and a ferrule falls out and disappears into a dark recess. I’d go with glue, or better, use a bar instead of individual ferrules.
    Why would you be changing strings at a gig?!

• WezVWezV Frets: 17499
    Roland said:
    I had a mate come to me to fix his tele    He had lost the ferrule when a string snapped during a gig.   

He just pushed the new string in and carried on.  Then that string snapped a bit later, but the ball end was stuck.  Same happened again and he somehow managed to string it past the stuck ball end.

I dug 3 of the buggers out.

• TTonyTTony Frets: 28444
    edited November 2022
    During the drum solo - gives the crowd something interesting to watch.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74489
    RocknRollDave said:

When one breaks...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RolandRoland Frets: 9128
    edited November 2022
    String break. Switch to spare mid song, then replace the string between sets just in case one breaks on the spare guitar. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 9016
    ...... or use a hot soldering iron as some recommend?
    I'm curious about this recommendation.  Not to try for myself, because I usually use masking tape just as ICBM does, but just out of curiosity about what you are supposed to do with the soldering iron.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5737
    edited November 2022
    I read in a guitar mag back in the late 80s that you should always carry a packet of Rizla papers in your kit bag for fixing loose knobs, switches, ferrules etc.
    I've had a packet ever since and it's never been opened haha!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12256
    BillDL said:
    ...... or use a hot soldering iron as some recommend?
    I'm curious about this recommendation.  Not to try for myself, because I usually use masking tape just as ICBM does, but just out of curiosity about what you are supposed to do with the soldering iron.
    on this thread
    Should you glue in string ferrules? | Telecaster Guitar Forum (tdpri.com)
    someone said he pushed them in with a hot soldering iron
    I don't fancy doing that
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17499
    edited November 2022
    The hot soldering iron works if you have a thick build of lacquer around the ferrule hole. It also helps to remove them if they are glued or stuck in

Personally, I redrill the ferrule and string hole  with a drill running in reverse as I don't want finish clogging up those holes.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom