Anybody tried a Kemper

What's Hot
BarneyBarney Frets: 628
Just wondering what these are like compared to normal amps for live and recording work ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• @drew_fx may be able to help here...
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11726
    I borrowed one for a weekend, and was very impressed with it.  I didn't get to try it live though.

I've heard one live.  It sounded really good out front.  The sound was a lot better than when I heard the same band the previous year and the guitarist had a Marshall half stack.

I've used a Pod live before in to the PA, and a guy who works as a guitar tech for some reasonably big bands told me it was the best sound he'd heard from me.  The problem was monitoring and my sound on stage.  I went back to using my amp.  You'd need to invest in a decent rig for monitoring and hearing yourself on the stage.

The kemper is the only major item on my GAS list at the moment.
  • If you do a search on here there are quite a few rave reviews - mostly from me!!

In the studio it's freaking brilliant. Live (EQ-d properly through a good PA system) it's a fantastic bit of kit.

I've recently started profiling my own amps and find these a bit more to my liking than a number of commercial rigs I've brought

• ROOGROOG Frets: 567
    If you are looking for a 'little push' of encouragement, you could also take a look at the Kemper forum, they like em!!!  

• I've got one and been gigging it for a while, I think it's great, feel free to ask me anything! (Kemper related).

In general it's amazing for recording, it's really easy to get professional top quality tones to record with in your home studio.

I've recently had great results using it into the Fx return of my amp as well. FRFR is alright too, but you need a decent PA/monitor and it won't sound like an amp in the room, it'll sound like an isolated amp being mic'd up and then heard through monitors in the control room. I think that's the part most people struggle with.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    Picked one up recently to compare to my Axe FX II.

For direct recording, I am currently preferring the Kemper. It just sounds more realistic to me - like you've got an amp mic'd up in a live room and you're monitoring from the control room.

I'm not convinced it will sound as good as the Axe FX does through a poweramp and traditional guitar cab. I've only tried it a little bit though, so by no means am I an expert. But I'm not planning to use either of these devices live in the future - just not ready to do it.

So at the moment I am trialing the Kemper against the Axe FX, and even though the Axe FX does sound good.. the raw tones from the Kemper are sounding better to me.

I've profiled my amp, each channel, with the settings I use live... sounds really good.
  • I've got one and been gigging it for a while, I think it's great, feel free to ask me anything! (Kemper related).

In general it's amazing for recording, it's really easy to get professional top quality tones to record with in your home studio.

I've recently had great results using it into the Fx return of my amp as well. FRFR is alright too, but you need a decent PA/monitor and it won't sound like an amp in the room, it'll sound like an isolated amp being mic'd up and then heard through monitors in the control room. I think that's the part most people struggle with.

I had a Kemper and that is what I struggled with. I wanted to use it live and had an FRFR speaker, but it just didn't sound right and I couldnt afford a poweramp and cab so I got rid of the Kemper. For recording through, it is amazing, very very nice sound, I just wanted it for live use. I will never again entertain not playing through a guitar speaker.

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

• BarneyBarney Frets: 628
    So is it switchable between different channells like a multichanel amp ...so maybe have fender cleans and then switch to marshall lead for example.....?
    Barney said:
    So is it switchable between different channells like a multichanel amp ...so maybe have fender cleans and then switch to marshall lead for example.....?
    You can switch from profile to profile, and the performance mode gives you a set of 'scenes' with 5 profiles in each of them. So effectively you can have 5 amp channels to switch between if you want.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Yes, but not really like a channel switcher though - you switch between profiles of different amps.

I tried the Kemper after using an AFX for a long time.  I kept the AFX.  Horses for courses.

The kemper sounded better without any tweeking once you find a profile you like - or take one of your own amps.  Its also more "familier" to fine tune those profiles.  sounds great recorded.

The AFX has better routing and FX capabilities.  Its also much deeper to edit - a good thing to fine tune your tones as you can pretty much make any sound/feel, but a bad thing if you dont want to invest some time in that tweeking.

I found the AFX FAR superior into an amp/cab for a more traditional feeling/sounding rig live (which is why I ultimately kept the AFX).  I also dont have amps to profile, so Id be relying on others (admittedly good) profiles to build my sounds.

If It was JUS?TY studio use, for core amp tones, Id probably have gone kemper.  Theres more immediately great sounds available, and you can audition only a few of the amp, or type of tome your after to get one - and then fine tune from the Kemper itself (dont go too far from the original though - the further you go the less convincing it is - well IMO anyway).  If you want a live rig - and dont want to go FRFR/Direct OR you need FX and routing capabilities - OR you dont mind spending time creating/tweeking your patches then the AFX still has it for me

Ultimately though - there both great IF you can commit to FRFR -- OR -- can commit to time to learn/tune your sounds with a proper amp/cab.
  • chrishill901;355229" said:
    Fiftyshadesofjay said:

I've got one and been gigging it for a while, I think it's great, feel free to ask me anything! (Kemper related).

I had a Kemper and that is what I struggled with. I wanted to use it live and had an FRFR speaker, but it just didn't sound right and I couldnt afford a poweramp and cab so I got rid of the Kemper. For recording through, it is amazing, very very nice sound, I just wanted it for live use. I will never again entertain not playing through a guitar speaker.
    This is the thing with digital modelling, it's touted as having basically any amp you want in one box, which is certainly the case if you're used to mic'd or recorded tones. However if you're used to using just an unmicd amp as back line it's a whole different ball game, and as you've said you'll certainly need a power amp and cab to be satisfied.
    I think in this day and age, guitarists should be comfortable with both sounds. But for live performance, you can't beat a cranked amp and a 4x12. imho.
  • I think that's true for smaller places, but once you get on to a bigger stage you rely on a monitor mix a lot more, which kind of levels the playing field somewhat.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12256
    edited September 2014

I have a Kemper

Raw amp sounds are better than the AxeFx2, but FX are weak, and it's fiddly to use and switch FX on and off. Excellent for recording, but - not a live tool I think

Unlike the AF2, which would be perfect live with the pedal board

• PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2392
    Not sure that all the FX are weak or hard to switch on or off? Depends how you are trying to do it I guess, no issues at all using an FCB1010 with an UnO4Kemper chip :)

I have bought into FRFR, as much as I enjoyed playing with a big ol' valve amp behind me, the tone is great and consistent with the Kemper running through my DXR10. Only ever used it in band practice situation, but I'd have no hesitation gigging with it.

Kemper have said they'll release their floorboard this year, it'll be interesting to see what that's like, as I know the FCB1010 isn't for everyone.
  • I'm saying the FX on the KPA are very basic multi-FX, nothing up to AF2 or Strymon quality

a dedicated floorboard would make it work for live, I agree

Personally, contrary to some opinions out there. I find the KPA nearly as fiddly to use via the front panel as the AF2, in a different way

I'm saying the FX on the KPA are very basic multi-FX, nothing up to AF2 or Strymon quality

I actually strongly disagree with this. Whilst the Kemper effects don't offer the huge breadth of controls that the Axe does, they're every bit as good.

Personally, contrary to some opinions out there. I find the KPA nearly as fiddly to use via the front panel as the AF2, in a different way

I find it way easier personally. But everyone has their own viewpoint.
  • Yep, Kemper has great effects, not as many or as versatile, but great quality for sure.

Ease of use is definitely a bit more personal, but I don't agree with it being fiddly to switch FX on and off, it has labelled buttons on the front of the unit!
  •  

Drew_fx said:

I'm saying the FX on the KPA are very basic multi-FX, nothing up to AF2 or Strymon quality

I actually strongly disagree with this. Whilst the Kemper effects don't offer the huge breadth of controls that the Axe does, they're every bit as good.

I find it way easier personally. But everyone has their own viewpoint.

Good for what they are, but

the delays are very basic, there is no multi band compressor, etc

• Owned an AFX2, Ultra, Kemper, Pod HD500.

Preferred the Kempers clean tones to any other unit its interface was the best and pretty good value. AFX II was the overall winner but you need a healthy bank balance. Pod HD500 was far, far better than I was expecting and easily the best value. The Ultra was pretty cool but not very amp-like, more like how an miced up amp would sound coming out of a PA speaker.