TC Flashback X 4 Owners Opinions ?

What's Hot
AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
I think I have the opportunity to get one of these this weekend. I have never owned a delay pedal or a looper and the demo's look and sound fantastic.
Before I go and spend a pretty large amount of money on this, could I just have some opinions from current and previous owners please?
Any input is very much appreciated.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• McTootMcToot Frets: 2043
    edited September 2014

My input will be limited I'm afraid: I own one, but it's been stuck at my house that has been a total building site (no pedalboards tolerated at the M-in-L's, where we've been camping out for 3 months), but from the week or two I had with it, I loved it.  Uber flexible and sounds lush.  Can't wait to try it properly with new amp and properly hooked up... I paid full whack for it and don't think it was money badly spent.  

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    It's a fantastic pedal. Easy to use, sounds great, and many many many different delay sounds in there. The tap tempo behaviour is a little
    frustrating, because it isn't global to all 3 presets.

I have one, and will most likely sell it as I went back to a Line 6 M9 recently for delays.
  • I'm now playing in a band were I use slapback on one number and the X4 is physically half my pedalboard so it's a bit OTT for me now. However, in the old band 3 pre sets ( slapback, modulated delay and big delay)plus an expression pedal covered my delay needs. I am tempted to get rid as it is under used, on the other hand it covers pretty much every delay need I can think of so I guess it's staying.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Yip I had one, it's great - easy to use, sounds good and the toneprint thing is fun. Really versatile pedal which I was in two minds about. I only sold it as an El Cap came up and I only treally used the tape delays anyway - used to use an old RE-201 until the hassle started to annoy me.
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 444
    If you realistically will use more than one delay setting in a gig situation get one, they're excellent!
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3023
    What ^ he said. They're awesome but I don't need the multiple presets & attendant size. I'm actually trying to flog mine at the mo to get Trav's Strymon if you're interested ?
  • I've got the Alter Ego X4, so essentially the same unit with a different paint job/knobs and some "exclusive" sounds (but still able to access all the regular toneprints).

I love it, sounds great works well and having pre-sets is great, but it is a bit big. 

I went to this from a TC Nova Delay (iB version) which I loved, but switching pre-sets was a pain.
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Thank you to everyone who posted a reply. I was really hoping it would be positive as the demo's just blew me away.
    It will be more than I need for a long time but as it's my first adventure into this sort of effect I think it's something I will keep and have a lot of fun exploring.
    @DrBob
    Thank you for the offer sir but I have my eye on a new one at Coda music which is just down the road from me and I'm planning on spending the weekend with it and it's Alnico_II's birthday so we are having a father-son jam session.
    I'm really looking forward to getting this now. I will post what I find over the weekend but thanks again for everyone's input.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I love it, I have 2, which is probably a mistake - I thought I could find good double delay-patches, but so far I have not sorted it out
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    edited September 2014
    ToneControl;355472" said:
    I love it, I have 2, which is probably a mistake - I thought I could find good double delay-patches, but so far I have not sorted it out
    If by dual delay you mean Petrucci style then there a few recent toneprints been released
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3353
    edited September 2014
    I'm now playing in a band were I use slapback on one number and the X4 is physically half my pedalboard so it's a bit OTT for me now. However, in the old band 3 pre sets ( slapback, modulated delay and big delay)plus an expression pedal covered my delay needs. I am tempted to get rid as it is under used, on the other hand it covers pretty much every delay need I can think of so I guess it's staying.

@EricTheWeary, I saw you were toying with the idea of selling and thought this might be of interest - cm01 is looking to swap his regular Flashback plus cash for an X4
  • Kebabkid said:
    I'm now playing in a band were I use slapback on one number and the X4 is physically half my pedalboard so it's a bit OTT for me now. However, in the old band 3 pre sets ( slapback, modulated delay and big delay)plus an expression pedal covered my delay needs. I am tempted to get rid as it is under used, on the other hand it covers pretty much every delay need I can think of so I guess it's staying.

@EricTheWeary, I saw you were toying with the idea of selling and thought this might be of interest - cm01 is looking to swap his regular Flashback plus cash for an X4

ahh, I had spotted that. I'm actually depping sort of in a few weeks ( playing one gig with my old band) so I can use my full armoury of wacky noises for that.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616

Well I bought it on Saturday afternoon and all I can say is wow.

It is mind blowing and i'm grateful to those who gave me a little help here with making the decision. It's the first and only delay pedal I've ever owned and probably the last I will ever buy, it does so much !

I have a pretty big learning curve ahead of me as I've never played using a delay either and I've suddenly found out it's not as easy as it looks but although it's also the most expensive pedal I have ever bought, it's something i'm very proud I own and i'm looking forward to endless hours using this and eventually getting it right and sounding good.

Thanks everyone.

Chuffed to bits.