Day off scuppered!

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
Should be 2 hours into shaping a guitar neck by now, but I'm sat at home on t'interweb ....

Thought I'd treat myself to a day off today. travel to my dad's workshop to get my guitar build going again, turn some stuff on the lathe for an art project I'm doing, record some music, record a video or two, get out on my bike to see if it helps my sciatic problem, have a good browse in a couple of shops ........ What's this ......... Mrs A seems to think that youngest daughter (9) is ill for some reason? Nooooooo!!!! she has decided that daughter has to stay at home with me. My plans were titanic in concept, but they have just hit an iceberg and sunk without a trace.

When I was young you needed physical evidence of sickness to get a day of school, if I wasn't throwing up my mum sent me packing. My younger wife comes from a limp generation who pander to sickness whim and are easily fooled. 

Now Mrs A has left young 'un is bright and perky, chatting away like a trooper as usual. Oh well, nothing wrong with spending time with your kids, but I was so looking forward to some 'me' time, especially after a sh*te summer, 7 weeks of illness and injury. C'est la vie

On the plus side, it is better that she is well rather than throwing up I suppose!
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    If she has made a miraculous recovery is there any option of her going into school still?  Education is a top priority after all.  Is the school on the way to anywhere you want to be? ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    It sucks to lose planned free time - it's so necessary for our sanity.

If you chuck Frozen on the TV can you get some stuff done?
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    frankus said:
    Ugh. I'd rather take her to the workshop and let her play with a bandsaw.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Richardj said:
    If she has made a miraculous recovery is there any option of her going into school still?  Education is a top priority after all.  Is the school on the way to anywhere you want to be? ;)
    This .. drop her off at school and get on with your day ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3074
    edited September 2014
    Drew_fx said:
    frankus said:
    @Drew_fx .....I'm guessing you don't have kids....... :-* God bless the electronic nanny.
  • SRichSRich Frets: 765
    edited September 2014
    Richardj said:
    I'm sure the "Well she seemed better after you left, so I took her to school" argument would go down wonderfully when Mrs Axisus returns.

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
    jellyroll said:
    Drew_fx said:
    frankus said:
    @Drew_fx .....I'm guessing you don't have kids....... :-* God bless the electronic nanny.
    It's just a terrible movie. Really terrible.
  • dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522

Enjoy time with your daughter during these precious years :)

Think Cats In The Cradle dude...

All practice and no theory
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719

jellyroll said:
    Drew_fx said:
    frankus said:
    @Drew_fx .....I'm guessing you don't want to buillld a snowww-man!!
    Drew is sooo Elsa isn't he ;)
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 702
    SRich said:
    Richardj said:
    I'm sure the "Well she seemed better after you left, so I took her to school" argument would go down wonderfully when Mrs Axisus returns.
    If kiddo is extracting the Michael knowing dad is off this is perfectly acceptable.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    dafuzz said:

I do already! I'm always the one who takes my girls to the park, to the shops to look at/buy stuff, out on a bike ride, over to grandparents. Mrs A never does that stuff. 

As for little-un, she is so sweet and naive still, she wouldn't dream of trying to get a day off school, it is purely a Mrs A assessment.

I could try some recording at home still, but I can't really relax when I'm half expecting an interruption, and there is nothing worse than a good take getting killed by interruption!

I wouldn't dream of taking her to school now, if for some reason she actually did throw up all hell would break loose and I would be a total bastard to boot! It's a cut your losses day. On the plus side my next day off is Monday, on the downside most of it will be sat in hospital getting a CT scan. I anticipate hours of waiting as usual ....
    Mrs A sounds like an asshole. ;)
  • axisus said:

I could try some recording at home still, but I can't really relax when I'm half expecting an interruption, and there is nothing worse than a good take getting killed by interruption!

Teach her how to operate the record and stop buttons?  Worth a try! 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    Drew_fx said:
    Mrs A sounds like an asshole. ;)

I'm sure she could furnish Mumsnet with a length thread of my flaws! In her defence, her dad buggered off when she was 4 and her mum struggled to bring 2 girls up on no money. Her childhood was very different to my 'idyllic' one.
  • axisus said:When I was young you needed physical evidence of sickness to get a day of school, if I wasn't throwing up my mum sent me packing. My younger wife comes from a limp generation who pander to sickness whim and are easily fooled. 
    My solution to this was to make a day off school an unappealing prospect
    unless she's ill. That means no Internet connection, no phone, no Xbox or laptop etc, and stuck in bed. Oh, and a lunch of chicken soup.

After she cottoned on, there were only ever days off from school while my wife was home and I wasn't. Strange how that happens.
    <space for hire>
  • dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522
    edited September 2014
    axisus said:
    dafuzz said:

I do already! I'm always the one who takes my girls to the park, to the shops to look at/buy stuff, out on a bike ride, over to grandparents. Mrs A never does that stuff. 

As for little-un, she is so sweet and naive still, she wouldn't dream of trying to get a day off school, it is purely a Mrs A assessment.

I wouldn't dream of taking her to school now, if for some reason she actually did throw up all hell would break loose and I would be a total bastard to boot! It's a cut your losses day. On the plus side my next day off is Monday, on the downside most of it will be sat in hospital getting a CT scan. I anticipate hours of waiting as usual ....

:D Fair play!

My daughter's 9 too - we spent a happy Saturday mucking about recording covers with me on guitar and her singing. Try that? Not exactly what you wanted to do, but a step in the right direction. After a couple of years she might make a good engineer!

All practice and no theory
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3871
    I'm in my 3rd week now of being On't Sick, thought I'd loads done. Managed to get two necks sprayed (thank you Northumberland weather) and a couple of pickguards made   :x

Still, had a grand old time with the youngest Eater of Jam. Dr likely to hit me with another 2 weeks, so we'll see what the weather's like.

Best laid plans and all.........
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10890
    edited September 2014
    Mrs B used to do this all the time.I work nights and finish Friday morning so it's normally a couple of hours sleep and up by ten o'clock with the day to myself.Sounds good instill Mrs B decides it would be nice to spend the day together without the kids and books a duvet day.

We'll balls to that.After doing it several times I had to tell her that I need time to myself and that "no I don't want to spend my free Friday traipsing round B&Q looking at kitchens" and that my time would be better spent slobbing around in my 'lounge pants' while playing/fixing up guitars,watching crap on Netflix and farting with gay abandon.

Edit-just been sat here watching said crappy film on Netflix and who pulls up the driveway?
    Fail!
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16314
    edited September 2014

when I wanted some time off school I would just gub a handful of victory v lozenges and the sweat would soon be pishin' outta me...

Ma; "fucks sake Hamish C'mere an' see the wee yin,he looks well fuckit oot,ah the poor wee bairn...better keep the wee soul off skool,eh? "

I'd get a comic,some lucozade and sweets, and the day off school.....V for victory and profuse sweatin' scams

tae be or not tae be
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    ^^^^^ I've just had a weird Viz type flashback moment.