Sonic Youth: From The Basement session

What's Hot
BrioBrio Frets: 1975
edited November 2022 in Music

Trawling YouTube for Sonic Youth footage I stumbled on a grunge/alt channel with some stuff I liked…. Live studio performances.

Check it out. Or Not.

From The Basement

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 364
    edited November 2022
    Nice find.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ewalewal Frets: 2661
    Never really listened to how Thurston and Lee's guitars interact before. Even though I've been a fan since Bad Moon Rising. It's very clear on this recording.
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12461
    I like elements of Sonic Youth and certain songs but they've always struck me as being self consciously too cool for school, I saw a video of Iggy and Thurston at Iggy's house and Iggy starts singing Johnny B Goode (iirc) with Thurston playing along and he cannot play it, he seemed very embarrased and like a fish out of water. Maybe he just can't play "normally" he's certainly inventive and more of a textural/noise player, whereas someone like Nels Cline can play all that trad stuff and the stuff that sounds like you are just a bit rubbish. 
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • From the Basement is a great series - created by NIgel Godrich iirc. 

I must say I can't figure out Sonic Youth. I've tried but it's just too close to a bunch of noise without a song for my tastes. I know that's kinda the point but it doesn't work for me. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • 26.226.2 Frets: 538
    From the Basement is a great series - created by NIgel Godrich iirc. 

I must say I can't figure out Sonic Youth. I've tried but it's just too close to a bunch of noise without a song for my tastes. I know that's kinda the point but it doesn't work for me. 
    The last couple of albums, Rather Ripped and The Eternal show just how good they could be when they ditched the noise for noise sake. 

I do kinda like the noise though…..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ewalewal Frets: 2661
    edited November 2022
    I first saw Sonic Youth in 1986 at the now legendary club night (well at least for Glasgow music fans of a particular age) - Splash One. It transformed music for me. They were probably at their noisiest round about then, so to my ears they have done lots since that I'd categorise as straightforward garage/alt rock, interspersed with their more extreme noise rock epics of course. One of the reasons I loved them so much was their ability to combine rock/punk styles with more extreme noise.

I think a band like Mogwai are similar in that regard - lots of their music is actually pretty conventional, but still capable of an extreme very few other bands can match. I love that.

Edited to add: I think you need to see bands like Sonic Youth live volume to hear them at their best.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • From the basement is my favourite music show. The Radiohead ones are stunning 

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• robertyroberty Frets: 10916
    I don't know if I have the patience for SY but I do like the idea of them

I always loved this song, a nice little corner of the 90s

• robertyroberty Frets: 10916
    I'm sure the version on the radio wasn't a full 19 minutes though ahaha
  • distresseddistressed Frets: 553
    edited December 2022
  • Love Sonic Youth, my favourite band and the band i've seen the most live.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3965
    Sonic Youth fans - check out this Thurston gig from a few years ago. Utterly mesmerising. Brilliant.