Ainsley Lister - Quality blues player

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
Ainsley had fallen off my radar for a few years, but I'm on a bit of a blues run at the moment. I dug out my one CD, and quite frankly I was blown away again by his playing. To me all his solos seem so creative and inventive - considering that he plays within a genre that has a relatively restricted remit. It's really highlighting to me how shoddy, dull and boring my blues playing is!

Anyway, I happen to have a transcription to this excellent little number, so I figure I will try and learn it to pep up my playing a bit. Maybe other people don't see him the same as me, but I think this is excellent:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• He has a signature rift amplification combo, was on that pedal show recently.

• New album out this week too…
  • I saw him at the Birmingham guitar show this year and thought he had a brilliant sound. He has a dry wet set up which gives that 3D sort of thing. Later on the TPS guys demonstrated their dry wet rigs which seemed only to underline how much of Aynsley sounding good is Aynsley. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Known of Aynsley Lister for years. He used to do gigs at the IGF Summer School years ago, and always particularly loved his version of Purple Rain. Haven't seen him live for too long now. Having listened to the songs in the video, I tried to buy the new CD today, but my local HMV ain't got it in stock. :s
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 856
    I saw him at Birmingham guitar show and also on tour with Mick Taylor of TPS. Has a great sound. 

He is playing nearby again soon so will be there for his performance.  
  • Saw him live a few weeks ago (for the first time). I was mightily impressed. I agree @axisus, on the well-trodden path of blues guitar, Aynsley has an inventiveness that keeps his playing from sounding formulaic. Met him after the gig and got him to sign his new album. In the brief time I spent with him he came across as a genuinely humble bloke.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11448
    I saw him many years ago at, I think, the Astoria on Charing Cross Road, opening for Jan Akkerman.

He was very young. 

And very good. 
  • Saw him live a few weeks ago (for the first time). I was mightily impressed. I agree @axisus, on the well-trodden path of blues guitar, Aynsley has an inventiveness that keeps his playing from sounding formulaic. Met him after the gig and got him to sign his new album. In the brief time I spent with him he came across as a genuinely humble bloke.
    Have just checked his tour schedule. He's in Newcastle in mid December, so I'll look forward to seeing him play again.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12530
    I’ve seen him a few times and had a chat with him after one gig at a small venue (probably the Torrington in Finchley). Nice guy and very modest. No doubt he can play, but I always thought his voice let him down, it’s too lightweight and polite for blues. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
    boogieman said:
    I’ve seen him a few times and had a chat with him after one gig at a small venue (probably the Torrington in Finchley). Nice guy and very modest. No doubt he can play, but I always thought his voice let him down, it’s too lightweight and polite for blues. 
    I think to say that his voice lets him down is a bit too strong. Yes, I'm sure that he'd love a gritty voice, but we all have to work with what we are given and he definitely can sing well. I would KILL to have a voice like that!