HX stomp into studio monitors - sound advice please!

I’ve had a HX stomp for a couple of years and in that time I have used it as an fx unit into an amp or in various hybrid forms of amp/power amp and cab on stage and direct feed to the PA. Often at rehearsal I just go straight to the PA. At home I use Beyer Dynamic 880 headphones. I’m really pleased with it and think it sounds great in all of those use cases.

We have just finished decorating the spare room and I got myself a Yamaha HS7 monitor to use for home practice (only one currently but will get another for stereo when money allows). I run straight from the stomp into the back of the HS7. When I do it sounds really harsh with a horrible sort of ‘clack’ to the attack of the note. I normally set my high cuts on the IR between 5-8k depending on amp/guitar but I have to take them down to 3.4k and use the 2k cut switch on the back of the HS7 to get rid of that clack sound. I have tried line and instrument level and going via a DI box and XLR connection and unless I make those drastic cuts it sounds terrible.

Any ideas or tips or is that just something that comes with using studio monitors instead of direct to PA / headphones and I will need to have some patches set up specifically for use through the monitors? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• rayttkrayttk Frets: 68
    I remember every time I made a patch on my helix floor and later the Stomp, it only sounded good to me on the platform I made the patch on, if I made it wearing headphones it didn’t work through the PA or amp, Try putting a looper block at the beginning and pick amp/cab, loop record a riff and cycle through amps, cabs, drives till you find something that sounds good on your monitor, good luck 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom