Base Plate for Strat NECK pickup

What's Hot
I bought a couple of base plates recently.

I usually put them on the bridge position, but was wondering if it would give a bit more beef by adding one to the neck pickup as well?  I tend to use the neck pickup (position 5) fpr solos and some rhythm work, and  position 2 (bridge/middle) mostly for chords/picking.

Is this a bad idea or will it add a good bit of oomph to the neck positions as well.  Was planning on leaving the middle pickup stock.

Guitar is a 2003 USA strat standard, stock pickups.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15275
    thomasw88 said: 
    Guitar is a 2003 USA strat standard, stock pickups.
    I suggest that you look into replacing those plastic-bobbined stock pickups before faffing about with metal baseplates.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74493
    Funkfingers said:

I suggest that you look into replacing those plastic-bobbined stock pickups before faffing about with metal baseplates.
    +1

Almost any decent, vintage-construction Strat pickups will sound better.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2374
    Ok that's fine. I usually change pickups anyway.   But in general how do people find a base plate on neck pickups?
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10932
    thomasw88 said:
    Ok that's fine. I usually change pickups anyway.   But in general how do people find a base plate on neck pickups?
    By turning them over and having a look ;p
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2374
    roberty said:
    thomasw88 said:
    By turning them over and having a look ;p
    I =D>
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 662
    I'd just try it and see whether you like the sound or not. You only lose a bit of time and a little sticky tape.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3222
    Not quite on topic but I like a BK Sinner neck pickup with backplate at the bridge on a Strat
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2554
    It definitely adds oomph, which does make it lose some of the classic Strat neck pickup delicateness(?), but if you're using it for gainy solos, I think you'd enjoy it. I've only tried a baseplated neck on BKP Sinners, which are already OTT, but it's definitely fun.
    Tim