Gas Station Guitars........anybody here buy from them

What's Hot
DominicDominic Frets: 16300
looks like they have a great selection from Japan market
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• OffsetOffset Frets: 12562
    They do indeed but I've always thought they were a smidgen over-priced - but perhaps that's a little unfair in the current market.  They photograph and present their guitars extremely well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2477
    edited November 2022
    Seconded on the lovely pictures but eye-watering prices. Even in the current market they're generally a good 20% higher than I'd expect and no option for offers, at least on Reverb.
    Tim
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7222
    I guess that some people will pay over the odds for something they want.
    Guitar Bomb & Nembrini Audio Summer Giveaway 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12562
    timmypix said:
    Seconded on the lovely pictures but eye-watering prices. Even in the current market they're generally a good 20% higher than I'd expect and no option for offers, at least on Reverb.
    Just had a brief trawl through their website which I haven't visited for a while.  I'll adjust 'smidgen over-priced' to be in line with your 'eye-watering prices' observation.

Some lovely guitars on there but blimey, they're bloody expensive.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • abw1989abw1989 Frets: 643
    They do have a brilliant selection which is as others have pointed out towards the 'optimistic' side of the price spectrum. I've heard that they are willing to negotiate on price though.

The main kicker is that they are very much online only. If you look in their FAQ section, they don't allow you to visit and play anything before you buy. When purchasing something running into the many thousands which a lot of their stock is would be an issue for many I'd assume. If you take the risk and you don't like it, they'll even let you pay the return postage too which is nice...
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Cringey name, too…
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8221
    Nice guitars.
    Ludicrous prices.
    No movement on price when I asked about one.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • idiotwindowidiotwindow Frets: 1465
    edited November 2022
    I guess the prices are what they are for the outfit to be sustainable as a business and we are all free to take it or leave it. What puts me off, however, are amateurish things like not accepting credit cards and having terms of sale that don't inspire confidence in being able to easily return something you don't like. I'm also not sure that their Paypal payment policy of deducting the Paypal seller fees from any distance selling refund is actually legal (and their whinge-like explanation of that policy just adds to my distrust of the company).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • Repeating the observation that they have nice stuff but it's really expensive and presumably has to be to keep them going. I'd wait around for a private seller to show up instead, especially with conventional wisdom now tilting to Mexican Fenders being better value than Japanese ones.
  • Repeating the observation that they have nice stuff but it's really expensive and presumably has to be to keep them going. I'd wait around for a private seller to show up instead, especially with conventional wisdom now tilting to Mexican Fenders being better value than Japanese ones.
     I thought that conventional wisdom was that Japanese Fenders have way better QC than Mexican. And that previously Japanese fenders were underpriced. Depends on who you talk to obviously.
  • RobG3294RobG3294 Frets: 477
    edited November 2022
    I always found their "If you see it on Gas Station's site it's a bona-fide belter of a Guitar - We turn down more Guitars than we accept" crap.

Pal... you'll take in any Guitar you think you can flip and make money on... No problem with that at all, we've all done/do it on occasion (and profit margins will be necessitated to run a business), but ffs don't think folk were dug up yesterday and come out with nonsense like that.

And their prices are astonishing. I think I saw a 335 up for like £3.5k + the other day. Production run model. The whole "Yamano export" crap they milk until the cows come home. They're simply some nice examples that were exported to Japan of standard production models. Plenty nice examples remained for the US/EU market at the time. They weren't made any differently. 

Don't fall for it!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16300
    yup.....they would soon drop their prices if they didn't make any sales so it obviously works as a business .
    I don't think it's amateur not to take credit cards ......they are a small business not a hotel chain and that is their choice .
    Merchant services can be a real pain from the retailer point of view BUT a £3000 guitar is not easy to buy without credit card benefit for a lot of people so I would have thought they are shooting themselves in the foot
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5640
    I always just scroll right past anything this guy has for sale on Reverb - the same with AC/DC Glory and Squeal-Like-A-Pig Guitars.
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9642
    Must admit, I don't get their market.
    There is nothing particularly special about Japanese guitars.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2477
    edited November 2022
    Brize said:
    I always just scroll right past anything this guy has for sale on Reverb - the same with AC/DC Glory and Squeal-Like-A-Pig Guitars.
    AC/DC Glory genuinely astonishes me that he sells anything. And tbf, there aren't many sales compared to the number of listings. But his prices verge into the delusional.
    Tim
  • Offset said:
    They do indeed but I've always thought they were a smidgen over-priced - but perhaps that's a little unfair in the current market. 
    Gas Station Guitars and their ilk is part of the reason that the current market is in such a state. £1200 for a used Japanese Jazzmaster?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • idiotwindowidiotwindow Frets: 1465
    edited November 2022
    Dominic said:
    I don't think it's amateur not to take credit cards ......they are a small business not a hotel chain and that is their choice .
    Merchant services can be a real pain from the retailer point of view
    I agree with you but taking on board these kind of inconveniences, costs and potential liabilities are what IMO distinguishes a serious business from a more "amateur" business (bedroom dealer, etc.).

I was in a record shop on the Isle of Wight in the summer. The shop also sold low cost guitars yet there was no facility to pay for anything other than by cash. The proprietor was repeatedly having to explain why and kept whinging on about the costs involved in accepting card payments. I did actually buy a couple of LPs (cheap enough) but I couldn't help but think how pisspoor it all was in this day and age. I could only imagine what it might be like buying a guitar in that shop and then later trying to get a problem resolved.
  • For reasons I can’t go into here due to the forum’s sensitivity to potentially litigious statements, I would not personally do business with this company, as enthusiastically cautioned  by a former Japanese supplier of his stock.  
    1reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I've a funny feeling the word "Yamano" isn't quite the value multiplier he thinks it is.