Easy power great sounding filter pedal?

ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7507
edited September 2014 in FX
I love my Qtron but it doesn't get used much because it's 24v (!) and quite huge (bedroom warrior so size doesn't matter ;) ).

I love both types of sweep (low and high) and the reverse mode is awesome underwater tones. I usually use it on mid pass, or blend (mid pass + dry).

So, can anyone recommend me a great sounding box of funk that's easy to power and sounds amazing for guitar and bass? Soundblox do one that's pretty cool, and digitech do the bass synth wah, which has some of the coolest effects but I'd rather some of them were controllable with expression pedal.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17918
    tFB Trader
    i was going to say soundblox

If not that then how about the EHX Riddle QBalls?
  • Yeah, @meltedbuzzbox has one but it's not the one I want (my mistake mate!) - the pro poly mod looks neat.

I'll look into the riddle q balls.
  • Oh the joys of filters wahs and wobbly things. 

I think the best one I have had is probably the Eventide modfactor but it is big money and its not just a wah/filter/q box. 

The best plug and play was definitely the micro qtron. It just works.

I do really like the FM4 but when I was gigging it had its short falls with a dedicated PSU and the amount of space it consumes on a board (I was using a DL4 (with non faulty switches :-P ) too). Its also pretty heavy but it is days of fun with all things funky. It does all the usually things then you can get some of the more mental sounds like you hear on moloko stuff. Well worth checking out. 

that soundblox thing is good and it has a lot of variable scope on the dials for different sounds. It is a big old long thing though. Another pedal board space eater so its been removed. The auto wah on it is glorious and most of the sounds to be honest. 
    Not sure about the colour though. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • The Digitech Synth Wah pedals have a useable filter. They do Guitar and Bass versions as well.

Cheap and easy to use as well.

Guitar Bomb & Nembrini Audio Summer Giveaway 
  • the bass version of the synth is meant to be the better pedal even on guitar

I had the guitar synth wah for years. I could never shoe horn it into a track sadly, as much as I tried.
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • I've owned both and the old DOD one as well.

They all sound a little different, but I couldn't say one was better than the other to be honest.
    Guitar Bomb & Nembrini Audio Summer Giveaway 
  • stonevibe;356291" said:
    I've owned both and the old DOD one as well.

They all sound a little different, but I couldn't say one was better than the other to be honest.
    I tried an old dod envelope filter and on guitar it was a bit meh, but on bass it was sex in a green box.

I really fancy one that can "wub wub" but would need expression control.

Anyone used a moog one? Mf-101 iirc?
  • stonevibe;356291" said:
    I've owned both and the old DOD one as well.

I tried an old dod envelope filter and on guitar it was a bit meh, but on bass it was sex in a green box.

John Frusciante used one on Dani California. 16 over dubs with the same pedal due to all the variations. 

I wish you didn't mention that pedal... I might have to take the plunge!
  • meltedbuzzbox;356486" said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

stonevibe;356291" said:I've owned both and the old DOD one as well.

John Frusciante used one on Dani California. 16 over dubs with the same pedal due to all the variations. 

I wish you didn't mention that pedal... I might have to take the plunge!
    Ooo I'll look the song up. I don't remember hearing much filtering, but that's because I didn't really like the song...

The solo at the end though.

From America, it's not even mega bucks expensive, though being moog it might break if you look at it funny. I'd rather spend a lot of money on a clever fun box than another stupid overdrive.

Moog are usually expression controllable too... Most demos are on bass by the looks of it.
  • I just listened to a bunch of moog pedals and they all sounded like sex in a box but I have heard horror stories on their durability. 

but that low pass filter is calling me... £213 @ thomann as well and GAK should price match that. 
  • It's not a terrible price for something that will really mangle your sound in ways you never thought imaginable, though it's a bit much for me.

I might save up though - I don't gig, so I'm not desperate.
  • Yeah I am so tempted to just buy it but I need to ship more pedals out the door really. 

Plus it looks like it takes up a lot of real estate on the board. 
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    Subdecay proeteus? Or prometheus if you can stretch it.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73099
    edited September 2014
    The Boss FT-2 Dynamic Filter and AW-3 Dynamic Wah both have expression pedal functions. The FT-2 is analogue and the AW-3 is digital, if it matters. (It might, since I seem to remember you're one of those who found either the digital PH-3 or OC-3 massively tone-sucking.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM;356728" said:
    The Boss FT-2 Dynamic Filter and AW-3 Dynamic Wah both have expression pedal functions. The FT-2 is analogue and the AW-3 is digital, if it matters. (It might, since I seem to remember you're one of those who found either the digital PH-3 massively tone-sucking.)
    The ph3 is a shame because the effect itself can be great fun, but it seriously makes everything sound shit. Not just treble sucking, but everything - it was the first time I understood tone suck (as most people anything not true bypass is...).

II'll look into the ft-2. Does it wub-wub?
  • hugbot;356711" said:
    Subdecay proeteus? Or prometheus if you can stretch it.
    Will check them out tomorrow. :D
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    My friend is a bassist with two Prometheus on his board and they're insane. Pricey tho.
  • xHymnalxHymnal Frets: 255
    I had a prometheus. The step filter is a very cool toy
  • hugbot said:
    My friend is a bassist with two Prometheus on his board and they're insane. Pricey tho.
    The one that would suit me best would be the prometheus DLX, but even then it doesn't sound quite as good as the Moog in demos.  Hmm.  

Don't really need a step filter - a line 6 M5 can do that.  Which, incidentally, is what I might consider as a replacement, though power might be an issue.  

*sigh*

• The Prometheus is ace.

Other great filters...

WMD Super Fatman
    MXR Bass Envelope Filter (great on guitar too)
    3 Leaf Audio Wonderlove / GR2
    Dod FX25

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd